Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Oh stupid Bill

So it rained hard all day. I was dodging all the buckets the custodian set out to catch the drips from the roof-leaks in my building. (Luckily, my building's custodian does not just has a bukkit, he has many bukkits)

But....the lake near me is going to go over its spillway again now. It's likely they'll close the bridge again. And, Lake Murray (Ardmore area) is getting hit badly. I'm thinking now there's not going to be anywhere on public land (i.e., easy to get permission to take my class on) that has forest that WON'T be underwater. At least not within an hour's drive. (There's a city park, but its wooded area is really too small, it has lots of poison ivy, it might even be under water right now.....and one time when I was out there with a group, someone ran across a used syringe, which is not the kind of field hazard I want to deal with)

So, oh me, I have to figure out a replacement lab. I can do the herbaceous lab next week - that land is upland and while it won't be DRY, it won't be flooded. I can do the bug labs the following week (provided it's not raining, and even then, I could do one of them). But that leaves two more weeks.

I could do an herbivory lab one of those weeks if I could get crickets. But that still leaves a week unaccounted for. Ugh. I don't have the energy or the time in the summer to try out a new untested lab. I'll have to think quickly.

I'm really done with the rain.

I'm hoping Sherman didn't get hit too badly and things dry out a little between now and the weekend; I really want to go antiquing, I've been saying for several weeks I want to go and then either stuff comes up or I get busy with something else and didn't go. And I've been doing a lot of adult-type things recently that are a bit distressful, so I feel like I need a treat.

I'm also having stress-dreams again, after several weeks of not having them. I can't tell if it's the adult-type things I'm having to do, allergies,  woman-body-chemicals-stuff, or what. But I'd like them to stop.

I think all the rain is affecting me. Normally dark dreary damp weather doesn't get to me, but it's been SO relentless this spring, and there's also the worry of "what streets are likely to be flooded?"

Also, it's harder to get into work: all the rain has led to some awful potholes. Wilson, which is how I get in to my building, has some terrible ones. The worst, they dumped a load of gravel in but that did little, it's still bumpy and rough. It's on the south side of the road and so when I'm coming IN to work I can avoid it - but I've also had several instances of someone crossing into MY lane so they didn't have to drive over it. Wilson is narrow and twisty and there is a blind curve shortly before the graveled area - so I fear some day someone will come down it fast and cause a head-on collision.

Going the "other way" (Seventh to Chuckwa) is not appealing as there's construction and Chuckwa is mostly torn up and graveled, and also there have been days with surprise road closures on there. I'm wondering what the expectation is if a day comes when I can't drive up to my building and can only get within a half-mile of it or so. Do I park at a distance and walk the half mile? Or do I figure that no one else will be coming in?

So yeah, I'm almost feeling a little *trapped*.

(They are putting in a big new water tower near Chuckwa which is why the roads are all torn up; apparently they are replacing the old water mains in the area so that the new, higher water pressure when the the water tower comes online doesn't blow them out)

No comments: