Wednesday, May 06, 2015

I got little

I will say getting about an extra hour of sleep a night (I don't get up early to work out this week; I work it in and around my schedule) is better for me. I haven't been having distressing dreams, either.

Of course, that's hard to suss out what factor is causing that. I SUSPECT it's dealing with fewer people (and fewer people who neeeeeeeeeeeed something from me) on a daily basis, but it could be the more flexible schedule, it could be more time to sleep, it could be not having an alarm set every morning, it could be hormonal even....but I welcome it, whatever is causing it. (I just wish I knew so I had a better shot at replicating it).

For serious: I've off and on had dreams the past few weeks involving political intrigue, people I love telling me they had inoperable cancer, dystopias, being chased by animals (and not fun cuddly animals that just want me to pet them).....I guess I also wish I knew what was causing the distressing dreams (though sometimes I wonder if the cocktail of stuff I have to take so neither my allergies nor my autonomic nervous system kill me could be doing it).

Other than that, I'm doing lots of grading. Grading and evaluating scholarship applications. (The whole scholarship thing has been more fraught and effortful than it should be, partly because of some of the personalities involved. I'll just note that part of my decision to take out caller ID was due to a late, late evening phone call from a distressed member of the committee who wanted to unload on me, even though it really wasn't my fault, what they were unloading*)


(*This seems to be a common thing I experience. I know some people say they have a "crazy magnet," I seem to have a magnet for people wanting to tell me all their problems even when I didn't cause them and am powerless to fix them. And of course I'm the kind of person that the problems "stick" to and I have a hard time letting go of the bad feelings, so I'm more affected by it than some would be)

Anyway. I had had tentative plans to go do something fun Thursday but that got washed away by meetings. And Friday morning I have a webinar (Yeah, I know, I said I hoped I could make it to retirement without attending one of these, but this is something being forced upon us because of one gen-ed class I teach. I have no choice in the matter). I MIGHT go do something fun Friday after that, I don't know. I need something fun but I don't quite know what - there are no movies playing I particularly want to see (I never got into the Avengers franchise or I'd go see the new one), I'm kind of bored with what Sherman has to offer for shopping/museums, McKinney still has awful construction going on.....so I don't know. Maybe I look up and see if there are any small-town quilt shops within a 40 minute or so drive....I'm starting to collect "dark background floral" fabrics for a quilt I am planning (the color scheme is pretty limited - black or dark grey background and pink, purple, or yellow flowers) and I don't quite have enough in my stash already.

No comments: