Saturday, May 16, 2015

Hide your "fundip"!

I finished the Mabel Pines doll today. It's funny, once I broke the stall on the big (back) hair piece, there really was very little crocheting left to be done:

Mabel face

Mabel Pines is one of the siblings on the cartoon "Gravity Falls." I love Mabel. She is, in some ways, a lot like me when I was a tween - but more confident and less-prone to think negatively of herself. In some ways she's kind of a .... nerd isn't quite the right word, but you know that girl from middle school who was maybe a little immature and dressed badly but thought she was stylin' and was SUPER enthusiastic about everything? That's Mabel. And I admit I kind of love her for her not-giving-a-darn attitude, that she seems to do what she wants (and maybe lives in a bit of a fantasy world where she's cooler and more popular than she actually is). I guess in a way she's me but without the self-defeating traits I had that kept me from being as happy as I might have been.

Oh, and fundip is a candy, sort of like Pixie Sticks. In one episode Mabel eats waaaaay too much and has the predictable sugar rush (and sugar crash).

I bought this pattern from either Ravelry or Etsy. On Ravelry right now the author (listed as SweetPeaCove) has it in her Ravelry store, but I'm pretty sure I bought it off of Etsy.  (I'm kind of hoping she works up a pattern for Star Butterfly, from the crazy new Disney cartoon - I could ALMOST see how the Mabel pattern could be altered but I'm not sure how I'd do the hair, that would be the biggest change)

mabel hair

I REALLY like the design of her hair, it came out really well. It's a good design for a crocheted doll, I think. It looks a lot like the hair of Mabel in the cartoon.

I used slightly different colors (couldn't find some of the recommended ones) for the clothes, but that's okay, Mabel wears a variety of outfits. And I bought a commercial applique (a kitten, which is really a little too big, but whatever) instead of making one out of felt.

I was really pleased to be able to find actual SILVER floss (instead of just grey as a stand in) for her "braces" (Mabel wears braces in the cartoon).

Another thing I love about Mabel is that she is a passionate fan of things that are cute and cuddly. She'd be the one carrying the Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper. And she'd love to hug ponies:

Mabel hugging

(Mabel actually WAS ponified, in a dream-sequence in one of the MLP comics. She made a very funny pony named Maybelle.)

(Waiting on bad storms tonight. And my a/c, despite some issues the other day, seems to be hanging in there, provided I don't try to run it "too cold" - so far, having it set on 77 seems to be okay. However, it's SUPER humid here and I'm kind of miserable. We currently have a dewpoint of 70 or slightly above. That makes me hurt - even in an airconditioned house - and also it makes me worried because high humidity means wet air which can mean worse storms.)

No comments: