Thursday, March 26, 2015

My Little Plesiosaur

(I decided to do this as a separate post from the previous one, because the idea of the title pleased me too much to not use it)

Anyway. This is the second "critter" I made over break:

Nessie full body

It's a Nessie (some people who believed in Nessie figured it was a population of plesiosaurs that somehow survived extinction in the lochs).

This is a free pattern on Ravelry. I had to kind of chuckle because the designer commented that it was not tech edited or tested (and therefore disclaimed responsibility on errors). I found NO errors in the pattern (more than I can say for some patterns I've paid for that have allegedly been tech edited) and I also didn't find any very confusing places. The little "horns" you kind of have to trust the pattern on (because they're made in a way that's not quite intuitive, or at least wasn't for me) but if you follow the pattern, they work, and they are crocheted right on, so you don't have to mess around with attaching them later.

I used Lion Brand "Heartland" in the color "Everglades" (not Everglades Tweed, a related but different color). The yarn was kind of splitty but I think it made a good Nessie.

Nessie!


It's funny, but in a way the Nessie (I have named mine Oona) reminds me almost a little bit of the baby hippos on the The Worst Cat tumblr.

I don't know what "worst" animal a Nessie would be, though. But there's something about the slightly shiny eyes and the earlike horns:

Nessie close up

No comments: