Thursday, January 29, 2015

Thursday morning things

* First exam of the semester today. Which of course, if you're a knitter, makes you go: "Okay, what do I take to work on while I invigilate?" Not the Hagrid sweater, it takes too much concentration. Nor the Little Ice Age socks for the same reason. Not the wings for Chrysalis, too hard to explain if someone asks what I'm making and also too much concentration.

I wound up bringing the Purl Ridge Scarf (which is really a cowl) that I started a little while back. But I need to start a simple sweater I can carry with me. I need to have a simple project going all the time so I have something for when I have to wait somewhere.

Maybe....a second High Street Vest? I confess, after I mentioned a Noro striping yarn, I bought some Taiyo Sport in a pretty color combination....and then realized I wouldn't have enough of it just by itself. (I would be about 30-50 yards short, based on the Galileo from the last vest). Not worth buying a whole extra skein (even if I could be guaranteed a dyelot match) for that.

So, I dug in the stash. Found some sportweight Regia Silk in a darkish cream color that I THINK will coordinate, and it's going to be the ribbing on the bottom, neck, and sleeve openings. (I figure, if you're going to do something like that, it has to look *intentional* - hence, using it for the bottom ribbing, right from the start. Well, also, I've had a few skeins of Noro that weren't quite up to spec on length, so the fact that the skeins are telling me I have 640 yards (when I need 670, again according to how much Galileo I used) makes me expect they will be closer perhaps to 620. We'll see)

But anyway. The other option would be to start the Brick raglan, which is just a simple knit-round raglan sweater. I'll have to think about it. Or maybe the Starbuck sweater, which, while striped, is fairly simple.

* I'm still thinking about the Rickenbacker shawl but at this point I am leaning towards using the yellow/peach colored yarn, because I have several "spring" dresses that would go with.

*  I need to make arrangements to get a measles titer done (I will probably have to pay for it out of my own pocket, though, according to the campus nurse). Yeah, the California outbreak has me slightly spooked and I figure if I need re-vaccination, better to know that before there's a panic. (The nurse also seemed to think checking first made more sense than just going out and getting jabbed again. If my doctor's office says the opposite, I'll just go get the shot).

I did get revaccinated when I first started in as a TA (at 21) so I might be immune. (They were pushing revaccination at that point, because apparently a lot of Gen-Xers were vaccinated before their 1st birthday, and now they seem to think that early of a shot doesn't "take"). So it's probable I'm immune, but I don't want to trust a "probable." So even if it's a couple hundred bucks, I want to get tested. Or get revaccinated, if my doctor thinks that makes more sense.

ETA: I have a call in, the nurse took my information and is going to ask my doctor about it. I'll see what she says but I think at this point I'd rather (partly for curiosity reasons) have the titer done than just get the shot.

* They were talking on the news this morning about a "shift in how high blood pressure is treated that will save money and lives" and I groaned inwardly and thought, "Great, this is going to be a lowering of the cutoffs that now make me "poorly controlled" instead of "well controlled."

Nope. It's that they're not gonna worry about "Stage I hypertension" (which is what I presented with, and what I still present with in a doctor's office, even if my home readings are normal) in women under 45. So back when I went in in 2012, I wouldn't have been treated, maybe, because it wasn't "cost effective," even though all these people* were freaking out and telling me how I was sustaining kidney and eye and brain and everything else damage by not getting it treated the very moment I had a high reading.

(*Like that one hygienist who I think got fired because she ticked off the wrong patient)

*Sigh* Medical reporting frustrates me, and the jiggery-pokery with guidelines also frustrates me. (See also: the change in BMI cutoffs circa 2002, where some people went overnight from being "normal weight" to being "overweight," because they changed how they defined stuff.) I get that how we think about things changes over time, but it's better to present it as, maybe, "In women under 45, blood pressure fluctuations are less of a concern than they once were" rather than "It's not cost effective to treat for it."


* I have a little writing to do at some point. The choir director at my church, I guess knowing that I could research things and that I have no qualms about public speaking, asked me to do a little research on the history of music in the Disciples church (and the so-called Campbell-Stone movement churches in general). We're having a special music day on the 8th of February and he wants me to do it then. I did the research over break - the assistant minister at my parents' church had a lot of books of information and I found out some sort-of interesting stuff, including that a couple hymns we sing from time to time were specifically written by members of a Disciples church. I just need to convert my notes into a reasonable 5-7 minute talk.

I like doing stuff like that, sort of limited-scope, purpose-oriented research where I get to learn about something I didn't know much about before.


1 comment:

Lydia said...

When I got the titer in 2012, my (through the college where my husband works) health insurance either covered it as a normal test or the cost was under fifty dollars. (If it had been something more expensive, I would have remembered and tried to get the job that required it to pay.)