Thursday, January 08, 2015

The "Cuddleewe" pad

I had mentioned a while back that I received a "Cuddle Ewe" mattress topper as a "big" Christmas present. And they sent a wool-filled pillow as a free gift with it. Lynn had asked how I liked the wool pillow, and I wanted to give it a bit of time to be sure.

I really like them. I don't know how long the wool pillow will last, if the wool will eventually compress or break down or whatever, but right now I really like it - it's lighter and, ironically, doesn't seem to get as hot as a polyfil pillow can. (I used to use a down pillow but gave it up when my hives first got bad, out of concern that that was what was causing them. But down is heavy - or at least this pillow was - and can be kind of lumpy). The wool pillow isn't lumpy, it's soft but resilient.

I also really like the mattress topper. It makes the mattress softer but still allows for the "proper" amount of support. (I admit I have little truck with the people who claim you should sleep on a board-hard mattress. It may be better for some people's back but I know a few times when I've traveled and wound up in a hotel with hard mattresses, I did NOT sleep well at all, and woke up stiff.) It also warms up over the course of an hour or so to something like body temperature, which is very nice in the winter (I will probably either make or obtain a good storage case for it and take it off in the summer if it proves too warm then). It also makes you 'sink down' a bit more in the bed, and I like that feeling, like you're being cradled a little bit. (Or: it's like being a Pegasus pony sleeping on a cloud. Or so I imagine it).

The company does say it will compress a bit over time from body weight, but that it should still provide warmth and support. They also recommend rotating or flipping it every time you change the sheets and I plan to do that.

I've also seen actually lambswool pads - like either a skin or perhaps the wool woven into a backing where you can actually SEE the wool. This is cleaned and purified wool stuffed into a very heavy cotton case and sort of quilted in places so it stays put.

I will note that even though the wool is cleaned, it still smells "wooly." I suppose some people might find that slightly objectionable but I really like the smell of clean wool (it smells like yarn) so that's a plus for me.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Thanks. I don't know if I will try one or not. I'm very hesitant about buying new pillows. I know I will have to spend some serious money to get a good one but just because it's good doesn't mean it will be right for me. Just pushing on a pillow in a store won't tell you what it's like to sleep on it and I hate to spend a lot of money on an experiment.