Friday, December 12, 2014

they're almost done

I'm within a few rows of the toe-decreases on the FINAL gift sock. After this (which will probably be done tonight), I can switch back to trying to finish Queen Chrysalis. Or to the vest. Or to doll clothes. Or any number of things for ME.

I'm glad I decided to do this, but I'll also be glad when they're done. I don't like working to a deadline on knitting (or other crafts). It might be different if I had fewer other demands on my time, I don't know.

Last night was a movie night; ABC Family showed National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (lightly edited, and it surprised me that they edited out "Wild Turkey" (What Eddie's adult daughter was trying to get off of) but not some of the other words.)

As I said on Twitter: this is a movie I should not like, given the level of crudeness (and the certain degree of family dysfunction), but I do. It's interesting to see a 25 year old movie, too: the execrable yuppies have a state-of-the-art stereo with a CD player. Cell phones and the internet don't really seem to exist....

And I love the crazy, lit-up house. As I've said before, while I would never do that kind of thing myself I can appreciate it when people do it. (I might have a few outdoor lights if I had an outdoor socket, but I don't, so I make do with LED candles in the windows).

(And I wonder why Brian Doyle-Murray seems typecast as terrible bosses? I can think of a couple things he's been in where he's been an awful, self-centered boss)

And I admit I've occasionally thought the line, "If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now."

After that was Scrooged. I like Scrooged (which is another late-80s movie where it's startling to see how fast technology has changed and how what was supposed to be Stuff Only Rich People Had is now stuff ordinary people have) but I couldn't stay up until the very end of it. (I stayed through the Carole Kane-as-the-ghost-of-Christmas-present, because I find that bit rather funny....) But again: there were some bits in there that I was surprised at (maybe they had been edited out of earlier versions I saw?)

Also, the ads. Wow, the ads. Stacked seven and eight deep, and seemingly inserted after a very short segment of movie. (Yes, I know, dvr, except I already feel like I pay enough for cable). I wonder if some day we'll have channels that are nothing BUT ads and we won't even really realize any more. (That's another reason why I like TCM, even if they are kind of pooping out on showing Christmas movies this year, or at least showing them at times I can watch: they don't have ads during the movies, and not even really between them)

No comments: