Tuesday, December 16, 2014

stuff done today

I stayed home today, partly because I had an on-again, off-again headache and using a microscope with a headache isn't so good.

I worked more on Chrysalis' hair; I'm almost to the point of connecting everything up to make the "wig cap" but I'm pretty sure there's no way I can get her done before break, and I'm not taking her with me to work on (she's much too large to carry).

I also gathered up projects and wound off yarn: the two pairs of complex, twisted-stitch socks (Little Ice Age and Alpine Glow) are coming along with a hope of finishing them. And I have the Electric Fluttershy yarn (actually Continuum self-striping in the color called Strontium-20) for "simple socks." And the Aestlight shawl, which I want to finish. And wound off yarn for a cowl, and a second "Sockhead" hat.  I might take along the nearly-finished vest, but I think I'm going to leave the Hagrid sweater as an after-break project. I also am taking some yarn (KnitPicks Chroma in the color "red velvet") for a pair of long armwarmers.

(Almost all of the yarn I use these days is fingering weight. Part of that is that it's easier to make wearable garments for a warm climate, part of it is that I just like knitting finer yarn, part of it is that there are so many wonderful base yarns and colorways in fingering weight. And it seems to me like fingering weight is less expensive than some other yarns for what you get - a "luxury" yarn might cost $30 for enough for an entire project, and that's rare with worsted-weight yarns - you need fewer skeins total of fingering weight for stuff because each skein has more yards, more yards per unit weight)

I do still have to wind off the pangolin yarn. (And I do have heavier weight yarns for the pink yeti.)

Oh, and I found 2, 50-g skeins of currently-unplanned-for-anything green, blue, and white striped sockyarn for the little Susan Anderson dragon pattern - having 2, 50g balls is better as you use the yarn doubled and that's a lot easier and less tangly than using both ends of a big ball.

That should be more than enough for what I want to do.....I have nearly 3 weeks but I will have other stuff to work on and do while I'm up there. (Baking cookies, making candy, probably attending to a few "handyman" type tasks, getting my hair cut....)


No comments: