Sunday, December 21, 2014

Something for someday

I am not a great singer (though of late I've been given to believe, by people who should know, that my voice is better than I assumed it to be). But something I would like to do someday, when I have time and there's one happening locally, is take part in a Messiah sing.

They used to do these when I was in prep school.



I'd probably have to do the alto part. (I try to sing soprano at church, I mean when we sing hymns, because the parts are usually more fun, but I know my upper range is limited, and The Messiah, as I remember, really requires a good upper register of the sopranos. And anyway, my voice is probably stronger (less head voice) in the alto range).

I love The Messiah. I love Baroque music in general, but there are so many familiar and lovely melodies in this one.





Of course, The Messiah is not just Christmas, though it's usually performed then. A couple years when I lived in Illinois, the church I belonged to did the Hallelujah Chorus on Easter, and invited anyone who wanted to to come up on the steps and sing along. (You do have to be careful with that chorus; there's one point where if you're not very familiar with it and paying attention you wind up singing during a rest....)



If I had more time available and were more confident of my voice, I'd consider joining a choir - either the one at church or else a civic/university group. There is something about being able to sing as part of a group....

Here's another version, perhaps less devout, but just as joyful, and it made me smile:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you- the food court concert has brightened my holidays- all best wishes to you and yours for a Merry Christmas and a Joyful New Year-

barbintexas

Charlotte said...

I think singing in a choir would help you strengthen your voice. So I encourage you to join and see how you get on.