Sunday, December 07, 2014

Some Sunday stuff

* I made fudgy oat bars (known in the cookbook I use as "chocolate revel bars," but because they were called "fudgy oat bars" back when I used to buy them from a seller at the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market (wow, over 20 years ago now...) I think of them as fudgy oat bars). The recipe makes a lot - it's supposed to be done in a 10x15 pan, which of course I don't own. I use a 9x13 and just make them a little thicker.

This time I did a double batch, so I can take one to school and one to the CWF Christmas party. I had the brainwave of doing both at once, but that was a lot of work - a double batch of these winds up with 5 cups of flour and 6 (!) of oats. It barely fit in my mixing bowl.

This time I decided to use a little of the leftover dough and filling - rather than making super thick bars - and made a couple little set-ups for myself.

So I made these:

pah!

The stuff is pretty rich so I should probably cut these in quarters. (Though I might wind up eating half of one at one go. I only make these once a year....) I bet these would be good with a little milk on them....

* I got out my pony scarves and put them on the ponies that I have scarves for:

scarves poni

If I have time, I'd like to make more ponyscarves. They're fast to do, but they are a silly frivolous thing.

(Then again - I got a free 2015 calendar with a crochet magazine that had crochet-themed cartoons in it. One of them had one crochet hook (they all feature animate crochet hooks) saying to another, "Why don't you ever make anything useful?" and the other one responds, "I make happiness and that is very useful.")

I do want to do one for Sweetie Belle. I had been thinking about this and when I was at Jo-Ann's yesterday, I finally gave into the temptation to buy a packet of the little Lion Brand "Bonbons" (small quantities of different colored yarn.)

I think Sweetie Belle needs a pastel striped scarf, in keeping with her somewhat-unique fashion sense:

sweetie scarf

If I have yarn and time leftover, I should make my Lyra a scarf. (Hah. Lyra getting a scarf made form yarn "Bonbons." Pony insider joke.)

* I finished the first (more complex) pair of gift socks the other day:

giftsocks 1

And I'm working on the second pair:

giftsocks 2

I'm not as far as I'd like to be on these, but I am far enough along that I know I'll get them done in time.

* I also cleaned the house up Friday afternoon. I didn't get my bedroom totally done, but the other rooms are pretty good. It feels nice to have a clean house and I hope I can keep it up until break. (It had gotten bad because I was so busy). It's more fun to sit and knit in a clean living room because you don't feel like you need to jump up and clean something or put something away.)

3 comments:

Nicole said...

What a great idea with the leftover batter!

Charlotte said...

A 10 X 15 pan is a jelly roll or rimmed cookie sheet pan.

LeeAnn said...

I made toast and glued a hole in my sock shut. Somehow this doesn't make me feel as creative as you are.
Gonna pout now.