Saturday, December 27, 2014

a little present

Well, actually, given the amount of money I shelled out for it (at one time*) it's a BIG present to myself, but:

String Theory Colorworks - the maker of the self-striping sock yarns I love so much (I used one of them, the color she calls "Dopamine," for a pair of gift socks for my mom, and I have a number of other colorways, some knit up, some in the queue. My next pair of stripy socks from them will be in her color Strontium-20, which I am thinking of as "Electric Fluttershy," since it's black, yellow, and pink striping, and the pink is kind of hot pink)

Anyway, she's doing a "sock club" or rather, a yarn club - with exclusive colorways and everything. You get to pick your base yarn. (At first I thought of going with the cheapest of the sockyarns - though I really love the Continuum, the one with a little bit of cashmere. Then I decided: the Continuum club was only about $20 more, and really, that's not a lot in the grand scheme of things)

So this is my Christmas present to myself for this year: a membership in the club. Every other month next year I will get a skein of sock yarn in the mail, in a never-before-seen colorway (so there's that little element of surprise there). It will be like a little gift every other month. (There's also a promise of a little "swag" with it - some kind of other gift that's not yarn).

I've said before that I wish there was some kind of subscription service where you could get small monthly (or bi-monthly) "surprise packs" in the mail. Now with the Internet this is beginning to happen - Graze, and that beauty supplies place that does sample boxes (Birch, I think it's called?) and sock clubs....

(*If I bought the yarns individually it would probably be more money, and I really do spend more than the cost of the club on sock yarn in some months. Yeah, yarn is where most of my 'disposable' income goes these days... what can I say, as vices go, it's fairly minor.)

It will be fun to see what colorways come out. If there are any I just can't stand I may offer them as a trade, but generally, I like even weird color combinations...

No comments: