Thursday, November 06, 2014

Sop to feelings

As a sop to my generally cranky, tired, and sad feelings, I took my short break (1:30 until 4) and ran the two quilt tops and backings down to the quilt shop. They're now in the queue.

However, the woman who took my information on them said it would be mid-March at the earliest. I said I was okay with that. (I am, I mean, I'd LIKE them earlier but there's no deadline on these, they're just for me. And with that many projects stacked up, well, that means that the person who owns the shop and does the quilting is making decent money and has demand for her work, which means the shop is more likely to keep on keepin' on, so I really am okay with it).

She was also kind of apologetic about the estimated costs, but I get that it takes time and skill and really, it's pretty reasonable (just over $100 for a twin-bed sized top with my choice of design and thread color and batting). And if I've put in the time to sew the top, I am willing to put in the money to pay for it to be quilted. (And this is where my "extra pay" as Full Professor - such as it is - goes).

You don't pay until the quilt is done. At one point they were having people do a 25% deposit, but I guess either they don't do that any more, or they waive it for people they know.

All the women at the shop are friendly but the one who helped me today (I don't remember seeing her until recently, she must be a new hire) was more talkative than most. (I suspect a couple of the women who work there are kind of shy). It was nice to be able to talk to someone for a bit about stuff that wasn't work-related; I miss that during the week.

There's a quilt group in town and I'd go, except they meet when I'm in class. But it would be nice to be able to talk to someone about fun crafty stuff on a more regular basis.

Now, I have to grab a snack (I came back home to practice a bit more piano. Lessons are on hiatus until DST starts up again (a scheduling thing; the teacher has to teach late in the day and she doesn't want to have to cross the Roosevelt Bridge in the dark, and I don't blame her) but I want to keep up my chops, such as they are.)

And then it's afternoon class.
And then it's AAUW.

And I am so done with this week. (I'm actually glad now Krav Maga was cancelled; I think I'm going to make a JoAnn's and Target run on Saturday.)

No comments: