Thursday, November 27, 2014

And on gratitude

Such a long list of things I can be grateful for:

The fact that I have (mostly) good health, and what issues I do have are minor, and are treatable by modern medicine.

Indoor plumbing

That I can turn on the tap and reasonably trust that the water coming out of it is safe to drink and even tastes okay.

Electricity

The ability to have climate control - not shivering in the winter or baking in the summer

The freedoms I enjoy

The fact that I have a career that pays enough to meet my needs and enough of my wants for me to stay happy, with enough left over that I can share with groups whose mission I support.

The fact that my colleagues are not back-stabby, or misogynistic, or perpetually difficult to work with.

My faith.

The fact that I have hobbies (mostly taught me by my mother) that make my life more interesting and enjoyable.

That most people, once they reach adulthood, seem to leave the attitudes and behaviors of junior high school behind, so that it's an unpleasant surprise to encounter one who doesn't.

That I have a house I own, which is almost like a grown-up version of a "blanket fort" for me. (only certain people are allowed in, and I can go there and hide from the world when it gets to be too much).

That entertainment is readily available to me when I want it, whether it's books or cartoons or stuff on the internet. (Or music. A few hundred years ago, when my favorite composers were active, it was pretty much only the very rich who had orchestral music - the common people maybe heard some music in church or had folk songs or maybe someone who fiddled for the village dance, but "art" music, no)




No comments: