Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wednesday morning random

* I think this is allergies/sinus rather than a cold. With a cold, when I try to sleep, it gets progressively worse overnight until I wake up because I'm so congested I can't breathe properly. With this, in the middle of the night, my sinuses wake me up and go, "Uh, we've been hanging on to a bunch of stuff? And we want to get rid of it, like, NOW?" and I have to get up and blow my nose a lot. ("Better out than in, I always say.")

* The onslaught of Christmas catalogs is slowly beginning. I got two in the past 10 days from Victorian Trading Company. I love the products they sell, I love looking at the catalogs, but sometimes their descriptions are way too precious or even outright wrong. But sometimes they make me laugh. Like this one. Here's the relevant sentence: "A number of years ago we aligned ourselves with an avid naturist who meticulously retrieves intricate web and preserves them under glass"

Yes. Naturist. (NB: very small photo of naked people - it's a wikipedia page). And yes, I know, there is the alternate definition of the term that means "naturalist," but if they MEAN "naturalist," they should say it.  I daresay a lot of us, when we hear "naturist," we think of what that wikipedia page is about, first. If I am talking about someone who studies nature, I always say "naturalist."

(I wouldn't be around spiders naked on a bet. I'm not an arachnophobe but if I'm about to get in the shower and I see one in the tub, it has to go before I will get in)

* Also, the holiday-buying season must be starting up, I saw the first "Wait, what?" perfume ad since last December. (Lots of perfume ads are like that, I've noticed, like they're trying to be little Buñuel movies or something. Does that imply luxury? That no one can make sense of the images in your ad?)

 * They still haven't caught the escaped prisoner. They did arrest a former girlfriend of his and her daughter, because they were apparently "aiding and abetting." I still walk fast from my car to the building here (it is dark when I come in) and only feel better after I'm in the building with the door locked behind me. I don't KNOW that the guy would take a hostage or anything, but apparently he's facing life in prison, so he might do really stupid stuff out of desperation. I hope they catch him soon. 

* Apparently air-purifier season ends in October. Or so the Lowe's thinks so. My one here on campus needs a filter change, so I ran out there SPECIAL after piano last night - I had seen boxes of the filters on the shelf the last time I was there just a couple weeks ago. Nope, nothing. Everything replaced with humidifiers. (Humidifiers? It's like a dewpoint of 68 this morning. The last thing we need is more humid). I asked a guy and he essentially shrugged and said, "We have them on the website, I think." Yeah? So does Amazon, and I have their free two-day shipping, so....

Sometimes it annoys me living in a fairly small town. There's really nowhere else in town that would have this (Walmart doesn't). Lowe's disappoints me from time to time - they don't carry the size of furnace filters I need, but the Walmart does. (Which reminds me, next time I'm out there, I need to stock up). 

At least I was able to get the "pre filter," which is what needs to be changed more often. And I got some birdseed in case we ever get cooler weather - the birds have begun hanging around in the shrubs in front of my house, so it's probably time to start filling the feeder again.

* It's supposed to be 87 here on Saturday. I disapprove of this.  

* At least someone came over and fixed the heat in the room where I teach at 9 am and it is no longer DEATH HOT in there. It's actually a little chilly, but I can tolerate that far better. I guess they actually listened to my complaint of  "I cannot teach in a room that is that hot." 

No comments: