Thursday, October 30, 2014

Feeling beaten down

I just get days like this occasionally. Can't think of anything likely to happen in the day I can look forward to*, just a long slog that isn't over until too late in the day.

I'm still unhappy over the bad interaction of yesterday even though I had a decent lab meeting with my lab class. And last night I had a dream that I was teaching a large lecture of introductory material and people from the class just kept randomly getting up, coming up to me, stopping me, and NEEDING stuff. ("I broke my pencil. Do you have another?" for example). And I find my mood for any coming day is far too strongly affected by what I dream at night: dreaming about someone I cared about who's now gone from my life can make me melancholy for the rest of the day regardless of other things that happen. Or having a funny and entertaining dream (like the one I had some years ago about having a pet alpaca that was about the size of a German shepherd and that would follow me around) makes me bounce out of bed, expecting something good from the day. 

(*Embarrassing admission: I sometimes order yarn and books I don't really need just so that I have something to look forward to in the mail other than the rare issues of magazines and, the rest of the time, bills, spammy ads, and right now, campaign ads)

Part of this is that it's Thursday, and I'm usually kind of flattened by the time the end of the work week rolls around. Part of it is that it looks likely the Krav Maga class next week is going to be cancelled for lack of people signing up. (They have some minimum they must make). I hope I get my $75 back; I hope they don't go, "We'll apply it as a credit when you drive up here and take a class from us" because that probably won't ever happen.

I'm still going to dress up tomorrow. I couldn't find small spiders, just some large (like, 3" across) "glitter spiders" but I also bought some side-combs and I can wire them on to the side combs and I think they will stay in my hair. I might also pin one to the hem of my skirt. But I feel less enthusiastic about it than I did when I first came up with the idea. (I also hope there won't be consternation about SPIDERS! because in lab yesterday, as we were heading out to the field, one of the students expressed a very strong horror of both snakes and spiders. (This is someone who's a pre-med, so it's not like they're going into a career where dealing with either on a regular basis will be likely). You never know what a phobia trigger is and I don't want to be accused of making my class a "hostile" place. (but then again - you never KNOW. I once had a student who was afraid of birds. Any and all birds.)

I'm also slightly concerned I will get glitter in my eyes; when I tried hooking one of the spiders in my hair I was brushing glitter off my cheek on that side for the rest of the evening. Maybe I need to put the spiders in a paper bag first and give it a good shake to knock off the excess glitter.

(As someone on CPAAG says: "Glitter is the herpes of crafting" because it's so hard to get rid of)

Ugh. My plans for this weekend are "work," which doesn't help.

1 comment:

purlewe said...

Sue and I use the phrase "glitter conspiracy" simply b'c it just gets everywhere and you can't get rid of it!