Sunday, October 19, 2014

Break winds down

I did get some useful stuff done during this break.

First off - I cleared out my sewing room and sorted and bagged up the fabric that was sitting around (in big blanket-storage bags bought for the purpose).

This was, unfortunately, precipitated by the fact that there is a small roof leak that I discovered during our last heavy rainstorm. (Nothing got ruined; the few pieces of water-spotted fabric washed up fine). But I wanted to move everything away from there, and also organize stuff (more or less). So I have a couple different idiosyncratic categories:

- big pieces (larger than 2 yards) and pieces set aside for backings
- traditional florals
- "modern" florals and geometrics
- scraps
- big pieces of solid colors (for sashing, etc.)
- novelty prints

One good thing is I know the fabric is all okay. And it's not in a giant pile. And I got rid of the old dehumidifier box that has sat there for some 10 years with fabric stacked on it. And I found a few pieces that I can put together for future quilts.

The other good thing is that the cleaned-up room will help me get my quilting mojo back - I started back up on the top that's sat in a partially-finished state for months without me touching it:

postage stamp blocks

It's going to eventually be a postage-stamp quilt (sets of 16 of the small squares, and then framed with alternating colors of turquoise and peach).

I also went out and scraped all the old leaves and crud off the roof to look for the leak (and also, in preparation for getting a guy out to do it, as soon as I find someone who comes recommended). Yeah, I went up on the roof, even though I said I'm not doing that any more. The back roof is only about 6 1/2 feet off the ground at its lowest point, so it's easy enough for me to muscle myself up there off the ladder, and the roof is practically flat (which is probably partly why it leaks), so it's safe to walk around up there. (In the end, I wound up getting my snow shovel and using it, because that was the only way to get the decomposed crud). I did spot a couple seams that are almost certainly the source of the leaks, so it may be a simple job for the roof guy - maybe slap some mastic on the seams or something. Again, if I knew better what product would work and how to use, it, I could probably do it. But as with the garbage disposer, I'm probably better off hiring a guy who knows what he's doing.

And yeah, I wore a mask (one of those N-95 ones they recommend for dusty work) to hopefully keep some of the allergens out. At least my teeth are feeling better after a couple days of using the Flonase (or, rather, generic equivalent) and my sinuses have been draining like crazy, which probably means they weren't able to before, and that's why I hurt.

I also did some knitting - more on the first pair of giftsocks (I'm up to the heel) and I also started the second pair. Here are two different views, trying to show the cables:

new giftsock

giftsock 2

The yarn is one of Phydeaux Designs' (the colorway is called Verdigris), and the pattern is Jane Brocket's cabled sock from "The Gentle Art of Knitting." This is a nice pattern because it's not that complicated, and it knits fairly fast, but it looks good, too. 

No comments: