Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Halloween thought

I don't ordinarily do a costume for Halloween. When it falls on a lab day, costumes are impractical and can even be dangerous. And I admit, I don't always like the attention-drawing aspect of a costume - I get weirded out enough by my students looking at me while I'm teaching.

But I also kind of like the fun aspect of doing something different.

Last year, I work the pumpkin hat I made (well, until it got too warm). I was thinking about this year.

First, I thought of the Grumpy Cat idea I had last year, but meh, Grumpy Cat is kind of played out now.

Then I thought: if I had a pair of sufficiently-skinny pants, I could go as a Portlandian/hipster girl, and do all my teaching in 'creaky voice' (bringing a level of "performance" to the costume). But again, meh - I don't own any truly skinny pants (and anyway, I'm too zaftig to truly wear "skinny" pants) and I'm afraid a day of vocal fry would hurt my throat.

I contemplated trying to find a yellow and black striped shirt (or just put black duct tape stripes on a yellow t-shirt) and do a bumblebee with a headband with pipe-cleaner antenna, but also meh. Without going to a lot more trouble and building a third set of legs and making an abdomen with a stinger, that feels like phoning it in.

I do still have a piece of lace fabric (left over from the Angry Goth Chick costume of nearly 10 years ago now) with spiderwebs worked into it. So I think I'm going to pull out a black skirt I never wear otherwise, and wear a white blouse (the better for the lace to show up) and wear the lace like a shawl. And then I thought, you could wear your hair down and if you can find some little plastic spiders at the Wal-Mart, you could attach them to bobby pins and have spiders in your hair.

And I like that idea. I'm going to run out this afternoon to see if I can get some spiders, and I'll tie them onto the bobby pins with black thread. (I could hot glue them on, but I bet tying them will be easier and more secure).

And yeah, then I realized: that's essentially Zecora's Nightmare Night costume, but I don't really care. I like the idea, it won't obstruct my movement or vision, but it's something a little different.

(I wonder: might I have a spider pin in with my costume jewelry? I'll have to look.)

If I were really ambitious, I'd do some kind of more-dramatic than normal make up. But I suspect that trying to do a "smoky eye," first thing in the morning and without any real practice would probably come to grief, so, no.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

Back in the 90's when I had a "real job" we were given permission one year to dress up for Halloween and everyone was excited about it so I wanted to join in the fun but I couldn't think of anything and didn't really have time to create a costume anyway so finally I just decided to be a hobo. I just wore old jeans and an old, ragged flannel shirt - basically the kind of thing I might wear around the house anyway for cleaning or gardening and stuff. I thought, "this is really lame" and "maybe I shouldn't even bother," but everyone thought it was great. I got a lot of positive comments about it. So you never know.

Lydia said...

Have you ever seen Jane Asher's costume book? She had a bunch of no costume costumes at the end. My favorite was a man dressed up in normal clothes with a straw in his jacket pocket. His costume: "The Last Straw."

http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Ashers-Costume-Book-Asher/dp/0932086314/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414524640&sr=8-3&keywords=jane+asher

Nicole said...

Sadly, I think I have made myself way too busy this week to do a costume on Friday. I normally do. And I'm over the "but I did that last year" hang up I used to have. I admit it - I like Day of the Dead skull faces and I'll do them every Halloween I feel like it. :) I even have a poncho to do skull face cowboy this year like I wanted to do last year. But I think having time for the makeup is going to be an impossible task. Never say never and all that but...

And I like the idea of the spiders in the hair and such. I'd probably freak myself out at some point during the day when one inevitably came loose. :)