Monday, September 29, 2014

juggling my projects

Later yesterday evening, I put aside the mitts and worked on the tail for Queen Chrysalis again.

She now has a completed tail (and it's attached) and I just barely began on the hair.

But wow, this amugurumi takes a LONG time. I might not have embarked on it if I realized then how involved it was, but now, since I'm at least half-done with it, I feel like I need to finish.

(After this one? Not sure if I'm going to do the Mabel Pines I bought a pattern for over the summer- that looks like a nice, straightforward, doll-type ami) or if I'm going to do Maud Pie. (And I'm also thinking now - I have leftover pale blue yarn from Colgate, and I have some fuzzy pale blue and white variegated yarn that was a "maybe this will work for Lyra's hair" purchase, I could do a Trixie with no further outlay of money. And since in some of the fanon (and also, the recent comic series, which may not be canon but is at least endorsed by Hasbro), Trixie is somewhat rehabilitated. And I like my headcanon idea that she turned out to be a "mean girl" because she didn't get enough love as a filly - and maybe, even, she was kind of unpopular in school* and remained a blank flank for longer than her classmates, and so as an adult she's overcompensating.)

(*I know. I was kind of unpopular in school and I hope it can be said of me that I turned out the opposite of a "mean girl" but I've also known people who rejected by their peers who, instead of going into golden retriever mode and deciding, "I will MAKE YOU love me," they decide they have no use for other people)

And yes, I know: I don't need more Ponies. Except I kind of do. 

But I have to balance all of that with my Christmas knitting. (And also, with teaching an overload this fall.)

I will say, I find for me, simple knitting (even something like ribbing, which isn't totally "autopilot" knitting) is a lot easier for me and a lot less requiring of my attention than crochet is. Maybe part of that is doing worsted-weight crochet with a smallish hook (kind of SOP for toys - so the stuffing doesn't show through) but it does take a while and it's kind of fatiguing because it feels more like I'm fighting the fabric than knitting does.

At least my allergies are better today. No eye hives, which are truly the awfullest kind, just a few on my torso, which is kind of standard for pollen season. (I did also buy a new air purifier for my house and ran it overnight Saturday and Sunday nights. I had had one, but it crapped out - something went wrong with the fan and it made a hideous noise and also wasn't pushing air. At some point I have to make an 'e-waste" run to the recycling place and I'll see if they'll take the dead air purifier.)

No comments: