Monday, September 01, 2014

a weekend break

I took Sunday afternoon and all of today off from work. (Part of the reason I took today off? I woke up with a horribly hived-up and puffy eyelid. It happens. It's ragweed season here. The eyelid is better now, I hope it doesn't re-hive up during my period of horizontalness tonight (It seems that being upright helps it go away. But I cannot sleep sitting upright no matter how I try)

I did get back to crocheting on the Chrysalis pony (is she a pony? Is a Changeling a pony? Or are they something else altogether? I guess I think of them as being kind of ponies that went bad, sort of like the whole fallen-angel thing in Christian scriptures and legend....)

Anyway. This is a HUGE amigurumi, the biggest I've ever made, so it takes a long time to do. And it's complex - the holes in the legs take a lot of time. (But I couldn't NOT do them. There is an alternate set of directions in the pattern if you want legs without holes, or are a less-confident crocheter, but....I really wanted the legs with the holes).

Here she is, with the front legs sewn on. I put a page of the pattern beside her for scale. (Yes, that is printed on standard US letter-sized paper, 8 1/2 by 11):

partially done Chrysalis
This is a close up of the legs, showing the holes. Yes, they go all the way through, you're seeing the paper on the other side:

cheese-legs
The next step is to make the saddle-thing she wears (it has to go on before the back legs). So, yay: something that's not legs. And yay, a different color. (Crocheting on black yarn: phoo. I have to have the light ALL THE WAY UP and take my glasses off to see it properly to work on it. Also it's a very harsh yarn and is hard on the hands.) At least I'm half-done with the legs, which I think are going to be the least fun part.

No comments: