Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thursday morning random

* Hives have been unusually bad this week; not sure why. (Perhaps it's grass pollen - it's been too long since we had rain.)

* My neighbor-to-the-south STILL has not mowed, so their grass is shedding a great lot of pollen close to me. No, I'm not going to call the city on them, for several reasons:
     - I feel like I live in a bit of a glass house, yardwise, right now
     - If it's that they're busy or are dealing with some tragedy in their lives (I don't know them at all well, and it seems there's been less activity over there of late), I don't want to add to it.
     - Not my circus, not my monkeys.
     - There's another neighbor who has almost certainly called them in.

* I had a really odd dream last night: I was reading an MLP fanfiction that someone had written as a strict allegory of the Gospels and some of the Epistles. Celestia was the Christ-figure. (Well, CS Lewis did that with a lion....). Twilight Sparkle was Paul, which kind of makes sense, because none of the other Mane Six would work (Rainbow Dash doesn't speak literarily enough, nor does Applejack, Pinkie Pie is too distractable, Fluttershy too scared, Rarity is too, well, Rarity.) Scootaloo was there, she was playing the role of Timothy.

Yeah, I don't understand my brain either sometimes.

* I need to figure out something "fun" to do over the (short) break I get coming up. (We get Labor Day off.) Not sure whether to go somewhere Saturday, or whether to try to get ground-cover for the recently de-weeded areas, or whether to start back up on the quilt top that's been sitting on my sewing machine untouched for several months, or what. (Monday is not a particularly good day to go do stuff; many small businesses in this part of the world close BOTH Sunday and Monday, presumably because Monday is a slow day anyway and if you're a sole proprietor or close to it, you need some days off each week to get caught up on stuff and also relax, and Saturday's too lucrative to give it up).

* I've been picking away at different stuff. I have a linen-stitch scarf I'm working on - I think I photographed it back at its beginning stages. Linen stitch takes a while and while it's soothing to do, it's outside of the realm of how I normally knit enough that I find myself making mistakes and having to stop and go back. Especially with the slipped stitches; on the "right" side I find myself wanting to purl them.

* The annual cicadas are out. Big ugly bugs and often wind up sitting in a "surprise!" place. I'm not afraid of insects but I admit I really don't like cicadas. (The first frost can come any time now.)

* Something circling in social media: Apparently Hello Kitty's creator has declared that Hello Kitty is not a cat but rather a small girl (?) My response to this:

"One morning, upon awakening from agitated dreams, Kitty White found herself, in her bed, transformed into a small, mouthless cat."

Also: "It's as if I heard a million Gen-X girls cry out in terror."

Also:













"I don't know. Therefore: Japanese vs. American cultural differences."

No comments: