Monday, August 18, 2014

the human condition

This is making the rounds of the internet this morning. It might just be a cute funny dog video, or it might be a metaphor for all of us:



Two thoughts: See how he seems to give up for a moment when the ball rolls out of his reach? I've been there. (And yeah, he goes back and keeps trying).

But then, when he seems totally frustrated....well, realize that his human is there filming him. And they just let him struggle and reach and never get the ball. And they don't help. And yeah, helping too fast is a problem and people need to be able to do stuff for themselves....but there comes a point where you're just never gonna reach the ball with your short little legs, or it's too far away to clamp your mouth down on it. And I don't know but it seems a little heartless of the human not to help. (Maybe he did after the camera stopped rolling, I don't know).

I dunno. I feel tired and kind of down this morning. (And the tree guy hasn't called with the estimate yet. I'm telling myself that something probably came up and he'll call later, but oh how I want this just over with.) Some of it is allergies, I always feel kind of "broken" when my allergies are bad, but also part of it is that last week was just such a bad news week all around in the world that I'm almost afraid to think what a coming week could throw at us to top it. (Also, locally: my church owns some small apartments that we rent out for a reasonable price. Well, we had to evict someone for multiple months' nonpayment of rent. They ripped the door off its hinges and punched holes in the drywall and someone (could have been someone else, because the door no longer locked) stole the nearly-new refrigerator out of the place. We have NO money so repairing this is going to be awful. (I fully expect the congregation will be closing down in the next few years short of more members joining. Money is always an issue even with the rental income, and it's going to be taken up now to do these repairs, which are necessary, because the building is currently condemned because of the state it's in. No, taking the person to court is not really an option here).

Everything just feels broken in the world right now.

ETA: well, my piano teacher e-mailed me to start setting up fall lessons, so there's THAT. But still, the bigger world feels very broken and screwed up.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I hear ya. I have been unable to listen to the news for more than about 2 minutes at a time for the last couple of weeks. I have to shut it off and turn on my happy music. Maybe I need to print out your manatees.