Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Really too bad

It's really too bad this summer was so expensive for me and I have to scale back on spending for a while, because I found the Design Toscano site and am now laughing over the statuary I could buy for my backyard, if only I weren't so skint.

The one that made me laugh the hardest (but which I might not buy, considering that people might get strange ideas about me) is one of a replica of a very famous fountain from Brussels.

(Actually, my paternal grandparents had a statue - they had a bunch of lawn statuary - of that very boy. My dad talks about how at some point when he was a kid he was mildly scandalized by the statue and *tried to blow it up with firecrackers*.)

My grandparents also had an American eagle (which my parents inherited) and a fountain with one of those weird ancient-Greek-esque interpretations of what they thought a dolphin looked like (it looked more like a big eel). And they had a St. Francis.

I'm not Catholic (my grandparents were), but actually, if I were going for any kind of religious themed statuary, St. Francis is a pretty nice choice. (Bonus: this one can work as a birdfeeder)

One of my neighbors up the street from me has one that is like this dragon (theirs is painted, and looks more like a sea serpent) and I always thought it was kind of cool.

They also have a life-sized sheep (And other life sized animals). I'd want to put that in the middle of the yard, though, and then it would be a real pain to mow and edge around.

Like I said, I feel too broke to consider buying statuary for my yard but I admit it's fun to look at the site and envision something like a giant silverback gorilla statue sitting there to greet anyone who might happen to look over my fence.

 Or, I could just get a few pink flamingos. I could probably afford those. Heh. I wonder what the historical-preservation types would say: my house was built in 1946 and the first flamingos came out only about 10 years later. So it could be argued it was in keeping with the era of the house...

I've also seen statues of mooning garden gnomes.

Oh, and Lynn: One of the things my dad found in his office clear-out was a little plaque that someone gave him once that said, "A messy desk is a sign of genius." I really wanted to steal it and put it in my office but he didn't seem ready to give it up yet. (And I come by my messy desk-ness honestly, it seems.)

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

What about putting the statue on a Christmas gift wish list?

Lynn said...

You could put down a small paver circle and put the statue in the center of that. It might still be a bit of a pain to mow around but it would help a little.

Nicole said...

Maybe a mooning garden gnome is appropriate considering the headache you just went through. :)