Monday, August 11, 2014

my new chair

Way back in June, after saying repeatedly that I needed to replace the old, worn "chair and a half" that I had used for 12 years, I ordered one (the upholstery on the old one was shredding, the support was gone - it was kind of a cheaply made one to begin with)

I went with La-Z-Boy, figuring that it's an established brand that tends to get high marks. And also, you can order what upholstery you want on the chair model you want. (And they're still made here, I mean, in the US, which does count for something with me)

I ordered it and paid half, the other half to be paid upon delivery.

I got it delivered today (It came while I was out of town):

new chair

I am really happy. It's not that different in color scheme or style than the old one but I tend to be a bit conservative about home-dec, in the sense that if I'm replacing something, I often want the new one to be rather like the old one. The new chair is narrower (it fits in a smaller footprint). And it has no "skirt," so it will be less likely that magazines "disappear" underneath it (and it will be easier to clean under). And it's a recliner, which is nice. (A recliner that doesn't scream "RECLINER! GO TEAM!" like some of the ones I've seen).

Here's a close up of the upholstery. I spent a long time looking at the swatches and this one was my favorite. It's sort of a chenille but it's one of the higher-grade ones that's supposed to last longer:

uphlostery

It's similar, but slightly more muted, colors to the old one.

The delivery guys also hauled off the old broken-down chair for me. I tried to tip them but they wouldn't let me.

The chair does smell a little "new furniture" and I hope that dissipates soon because I don't like that solventy smell. But it is a good replacement, I can tell the support it gives (especially back and hips) is much better than my old chair had. (And really, this didn't cost much more than the old chair-and-a-half did, back in the day - of course, that one also came with an ottoman (which I did keep) - but this chair is clearly better made than that one was)

3 comments:

Lynn said...

I love the upholstery. It's one of those things that make me exclaim, "Wow! I didn't know they still made stuff like that!"

Nicole said...

Neat upholstery!

Lydia said...

That is a pretty chair.