Sunday, July 13, 2014

Weekend in pictures

I decided that since that new bottle of nail polish felt so hard-won (it was the one I bought right before my car's battery died), that it was time to change the color on my toes.

plumberry

Not a perfect job; I wasn't very flexible Friday night after putting a day in leaning over a microscope and then standing out in the heat.

The color is "Plumberry" from Essie. Yeah, I pretty much stick to the pink/red/maybe  slightly purplish spectrum. I can't quite get used to the idea of orange, green, or blue nails for me.

And I got the tomato sandwich made for lunch Saturday:

'mater sammich

Toasted the bread, spread a thin layer of mayonnaise (Duke's, which I DO think I prefer to Hellman's), the whole tomato (I dipped it in boiling water first so I could easily peel it....I don't like the skin on tomatoes). I also added a sprinkle of garlic powder, which is not canon, but which adds a lot to the sandwich (IMHO).

And yes, it made kind of a big sloppy sandwich, using an entire tomato, but I wanted to use it all up (it was a beefsteak type, I think the varietal name was German Johnson) and anyway, the tomato is both the point of the sandwich and the most nutritious thing in the sandwich, so.....

I suppose if you were making fancy little tea-type sandwiches, you would use a single layer of tomato and one big tomato would make several sandwiches.

I decided I really like tomato sandwiches and the next good-sized tomato I get will probably become one.

And it was hot. Granted, this is perhaps an exaggeration because the sensor for my outdoor thermostat gets the afternoon sun, but:

yeah, it's hot

I will say 77 was what I had the a/c set on, so so far the new set-up is doing a fine job.

I also finished the back of the Belvedere cardigan:

back of Belvedere

I wanted to do this partly so I could start one of the fronts to have for invigilating knitting tomorrow. (Front has been started and the ribbing done; I just began the lace section).

This will probably require aggressive blocking before I sew it up; the edges want to curl a lot.

Also, the Zecora I ordered from Build-a-Bear came. I ordered this even before the giant a/c repair, or else maybe I wouldn't have. (This has been an EXPENSIVE week - getting the new furnace at the start of it, and a new car battery at the end, and even before the furnace, buying a window-unit air conditioner)

I'm glad I bought her, though. Build-a-Bear did a good job on this design. And she's HUGE. I put the clothes on her that I ordered along with (it was a way of getting free shipping, which in the long run was cheaper):

Zecora dressed

"I find myself with a very great wish/
to go and see this band called Phish."

Well, maybe not. I thought she'd look kind of hippieish in the clothes but frankly she looks more like a Bangles fan than a Phish fan in them.

(She is smiling but there's something about her eyes that makes her look vaguely annoyed to me, about being dressed in that get-up)

Anyway, I think I like her better in just her fur, so probably another critter will get the clothes at some point.

Zecora hug

Like I said: as stuffed animals go, she's big. And very squishy and huggable.

2 comments:

purlewe said...

I think you are so freaking brilliant! Hugable sofites are the best.. look how adorable you are with her!

Lydia said...

So cute!