Wednesday, July 30, 2014

the flip side

Which is where I will catch you all. I have a few "embargoed" posts lined up (the typical thing, sort of nostalgia-fests, because I seem to think more about my past when I am ready to go on vacation).

I've got everything packed (well, I hope I do. I know I have the most essential things: tickets and driver's license and money and medications and books to read on the train.)

I may leave just a bit early this go-round; because of trackwork the train I get on is originating in Fort Worth, two stops ahead of where I get on, rather than in San Antonio, which is like six or seven. So it's more likely to be on time. AND it's raining, and there might be heavy rain on the way. I can't complain about the rain, we need it, but I do not like driving in heavy rain, especially when it's been long since we had rain and people forget how to drive in it.

I did have to drag out a belt again after putting on a pair of jeans I'd not worn in a while. I've been more active this summer (mostly yardwork stuff) and I guess it's having an effect. Will have to figure out some way to continue it into the fall and winter.

****

And a spot of good news: The local AAUW branch I belong to had lost their tax-exempt status (long story, but what it looks like is the national leadership claimed they'd send in the paperwork in a big batch if we sent it to them first, and then a lot of branches' paperwork got lost - we were not the only ones in this boat). Thanks to some incredible pro-bono work by a local CPA, and lots of work on the part of one of our members doing all the paperwork and calling IRS many times and lots of other stuff, our tax-exempt status has been REINSTATED.

Considering that when we did the full accounting, we made a profit of $77 in the past five years, I would hope it would. (Nearly all the money we take in either goes to pay our dues with state/national, or is distributed in local scholarships). 

No comments: