Tuesday, July 15, 2014

"lame" blogging, too

Lynn did the so-called "famous Proust questionnaire" and remarked that "these are the kinds of things that make lame blog posts." But I admit, I also love these things, so if it's lameblogging to do them, then I'm lameblogging this morning:

What is your idea of perfect happiness? – working on something, making progress on it, having it go well. It matters not if it's data analysis or teaching prep or knitting a sweater or working in the garden. Being busy and seeing progress.

What is your most marked characteristic? –Lots of people talk about how diligent and dependable I am. Kind of a lame thing to have as your best characteristic, but whatever.

What do you consider your greatest achievement? – It's either remaining a kind person and trying to treat others well, or coming back from failing out of grad school (well, not really) the first time and earning my Ph.D. and having a job offer even before I had defended
.
What is your greatest fear? – Rejection. Or that everyone secretly thinks I'm boring or lame and talks about it behind my back.

What historical figure do you most identify with? – Beatrix Potter.

Which living person do you most admire? – Oh gee, I don't know. I find lots of the people I used to admire tend to wind up having, if not feet of clay, toes of clay.

Who are your heroes in real life? – The people who do stuff like step in and defend kids who are being abused. Doing anything that helps another but makes you vulnerable to being attacked. Military men and women. Good cops. Firefighters. ER doctors.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? – I tend to let everyone's opinion into my head, even those of people who are unfairly criticizing me.

What is the trait you most deplore in others? –  big giant senses of entitlement, where they see all others as their servants.

What is your favorite journey? – Riding home to see my parents in a sleeper on the train.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue? – I think most virtues these days are underrated. Being too diligent, perhaps? Because it winds up hurting you?

Which word or phrases do you most overuse? – "Anyway." "I mean." "I don't know, but"

What is your greatest regret? – That I wasn't more social when I was younger, that I didn't date more. It's kind of late now.

What is your current state of mind? – Working on a couple things at the same time

If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be? – Health stuff. That everyone would enjoy good/better health than they now do. And that we were all closer to each other.

What is your most treasured possession? – I have a toy leftover from my childhood. It's very beat-up and kind of unsightly, so I keep it under a pillow on my bed. But it's very valuable to me.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? – Believing no one loves you.

Where would you like to live? – I'm pretty happy where I am, can I suggest changes to the place where I am? I'd like it to be where I am but with less-hot summers, more rain in the summer, a better big grocery store close by, a real bookstore close by...

What is your favorite occupation? – Knitting, sewing, reading, playing piano

What is the quality you most like in a man? – Compassion, having a kind heart. Being interested in something besides making money or making the next "conquest."

What is the quality you most like in a woman? – The same as in a man.

What are your favorite names? – Never really thought about it. I used to give weird, overly-elaborate names to my stuffed animals when I was a kid, like Ermentrude or Theophrastus. I would never saddle a kid with that name, though.

What is your motto? – See post below. Or: "Give no one back evil for evil; hold fast to that which is good."

No comments: