Saturday, June 28, 2014

Brusha brusha brusha

Yeah, I finished the Colgate/Minuette amigurumi last night.

(AUGH. Flickr has YET AGAIN changed its interface for sharing pictures. I think I've grabbed the right code; let me know if this doesn't show up. Stupid Flickr.)

cutie mark

Anyway, I stayed up past my bedtime to finish this, because I got going on the hair and just wanted to finish it. (My normal bedtime is between 9 and 10 pm; I stayed up until about 10:30)

This morning I noticed I put the cutie mark on the opposite flank from the one I normally do. Oh well. (The other ponies I've made have it on the right flank, she's got hers on the left.)

Colgate (or Minuette, and I've not decided yet which name I prefer) is a "background" unicorn. Meaning she really doesn't have speaking parts (I think she says "Muffins!" once. Heh. Like Derpy) but she shows up in crowd scenes and stuff. There's a little fanfic out there (that I've seen) with her, mainly suggesting she's the Ponyville dentist (or dental hygienist). Or alternatively, that she has an obsession with being on time, given her hourglass cutie mark.

Face close up

Because of the "dental" connection, I decided to give her a toothy smile, like I did to DJ PON-3.

Here's another view of the face. I'm trying to headcanon up a backstory for her (since I don't really know one for her, like there exists one for Lyra or DJ PON-3 or Derpy - actually there are multiple ones for Derpy). 

Minuette/Colgate

Looking at her eyes, and the way the hair kind of flops down over them, maybe she's kind of shy. Or maybe she's a pony who daydreams a lot. The funny thing is, even as I do the eyes pretty much the same way on every pony I make, the faces come out differently. This one seems to have more of a "fillyish" look - her eyes are bigger and a little bit less focused seeming. And she's a bit fatter in the face - I think the Red Heart yarn I used for her was more of a true worsted or even a heavy worsted, and the Caron Super Soft I usually use is closer to a DK weight.

So yeah, maybe a pony that daydreams a lot. (The Secret Life of Walterina Filly?)

Here's a comparison with a couple of other ponies to show how the faces come out so differently:

three different faces

Heh, and now I have seven ponies (Fluttershy, Pinkie, Derpy, DJ PON-3, Luna, Lyra, and now Minuette) I have made off that same pattern. (Maybe it's time to do an OC pony off of it; I talked about one I had in mind last week. Or maybe I want to start Maud Pie, I don't know.)


"Background unicorn pony powers ACTIVATE!!!!"

heh.

"Background unicorn pony powers activate"

 Heh. Now I kind of want to write a Charlie's Angels style fanfic featuring these three ponies as the Angels. (I'm sure it's been done, probably with other ponies, and anyway, I never really watched Charlie's Angels so I have only the vaguest understanding of the plotlines (such as they were, I think the show was largely an excuse to allow Farrah Fawcett or Jaclyn Smith to run in slow motion in a tight t-shirt).

Actually, I know the A-Team some better (my brother was a big fan, and having one television when we were growing up, well, I watched it with him). Hm.

Hannibal: Either Twilight, or perhaps even a heavily-disguised Celestia.
Mr. T: either Bulk Biceps or Rainbow Dash.
Face: Rarity. Or for an all-background-ponies version, maybe Bon Bon.
Mad Murdoch: probably Derpy. Though maybe Pinkie in her more random moments would also work.

Heh. Bad late-70s television for the win. (And yet, was it really so very bad? It was an entertaining escape. I remember liking a number of the Stephen J. Cannell productions as a young teen)

Also, the gag in the post title is this one:



As I've said before, there's just something I find so darn comforting about the shape, size, and configuration of these ponies. (I do think  it's that they're about the same size as a kitten or a small cat, but a lot less pointy to hold). They really are pet-substitutes for me: I can't really have a furry pet because of allergies (I have found, by sad experience around friends, that apparently my cat and dog allergies have gotten far worse) and also I'm not home enough to give a dog the necessary walking or a cat the necessary other attention. But with ponies, I can set them up in a chair and they will be there "waiting" for me when I get home. Yes, I know they can't be happy to see me or anything like that, but I can imagine that they are. (And some cats and even some dogs are really pretty indifferent upon their master's return)

Yeah. Crazy pony lady. Isn't seven cats supposedly the number in the crazy cat lady starter kit? Well, I now have seven ponies off the same pattern. (Plus Big Mac, Scootaloo, my little OC pony Scholastica, and Ulla, all made off of other patterns. And a couple of purchased stuffed ponies...)

1 comment:

CGHill said...

This is the description on her trading card from Enterplay:

"Minuette is always on schedule thanks to her magic, and ponies say she's good enough to lord over time itself! Either way, her magic gives her plenty of spare time for her bright, shining smile to be seen all across Equestria. Her action packed life has included making friends in Canterlot and Ponyville, helping all three teams during Winter Wrap Up, and even serving as one of Princess Cadance's bridesmaids! This is one pony you can't just brush aside."

Yes, they did say "brush."