Friday, May 09, 2014

A tiny celebration

I realized this afternoon that I'm done with this semester - grades are all in, graduation is tomorrow. I just have to make up syllabi for the summer and do whatever research I feel like doing in the few days before my trip.

But I'm done. This semester is over. I survived it.

I don't know what it was about this particular semester but it seemed harder and tougher and more unpleasant than many others in the past, so surviving it feels like something.

So this afternoon, I decided to ceremonially play this, in celebration of my surviving:



(I'm not a big rock fan, but I have to say: that's one of my favorite rock/pop pieces ever. Partly because it's just catchy, but partly for the lyrics at the beginning:

And bad mistakes
I've made a few
I've had my share of sand
Kicked in my face
But I've come through


And the "we mean to go on and on and on and on." It's actually a pretty good philosophy - when stuff is crummy and life is tough, just keep going, because you come out on the other side of it eventually. 

Here's hoping summer semester is better.

No comments: