Monday, January 13, 2014

First holiday project

This is the "Fierce Little Dragon" pattern I was talking about earlier. I've had this pattern for a while (Craftster link to discussion of pattern; the pattern, AFAIK, is only available on Ravelry).

I used some kind of inexpensive acrylic (I didn't keep the ballband, but it was probably a Red Heart product, or maybe Bernat Super Soft) in  a variegated pink and purple colorway



Here she is. I was originally going to give her some kind of mock-heroic name like Ermentrude but when I was putting the eyes in, the name "Buttercup" popped into my head and I realized she HAD to be a Buttercup rather than an Ermentrude.

Of course, with the name Buttercup, that immediately suggested a couple of other things:

1. Like Ferdinand the Bull, she'd rather smell the flowers than fight.
2. She's a girly-girl dragon, the sort who would want to put nail polish on her claws. So her claws are pink:



(You can see them a bit better in that photo).

She's quite petite - small enough to sit on a shoulder. (And now I think of a book I had as a kid, called "The Witch's Catalog" or somesuch. The idea of it was that it was a catalog for witches that had somehow fallen into the hands of ordinary humans (this being years and years before the term "Muggle" existed). One of the things on offer was a small dragon of your very own. While I was old enough to realize the book was 100% fantasy, I have to admit I really wished I could have a small dragon - well, a small, nice one who knew how to keep its fire-breathing under control....)

The pattern is pretty much straightforward crochet, except for the wings, which use "post stitches," where you crochet into the front of a stitch. I always find this tricky and the wings maybe didn't come out perfectly, but they came out good enough:


1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Have you seen the dragon on Susan B Anderson's blog? I think you'd like it. She's the author/designer of the Itty Bitty books.