Thursday, September 12, 2013

Oh man, Wednesdays

I have my longest class day on Wednesdays (five hours, which I realize is small compared to what a grade school teacher does, but still, being on my feet for five hours on our concrete floors really wears on me). I also had a meeting at church last night. (And I gave an exam. And took the exam home right after I got out of lab around 3:30 and set in to grading it, and finished with just enough time to heat up the leftover vegetables in the fridge before my meeting).

It rained for about five minutes while I was in the meeting. Once again, I feel like All Summer In a Day had happened, just in reverse. (We haven't had a good rain since, I think, June.)

I really dislike teaching a full day and then having an evening meeting. It was short, but when I got home, all I could do was sit and stare at the wall because I was tired.

(Also, a good friend of mine at church is having major health problems and we don't know if she's going to get better, so that's weighing on me.)

So I'm trying to cheer myself up. (At least today, I have one class, two meetings, and then my own work to concentrate on.)

***

Just throwing this out here....if anyone knows of someone (child or adult) who would just like a complete set of the Mane Six figures (I don't have cards for most of them as they were "extras" from the multi-sets I bought), I found I have a complete extra set of all of them - even Fluttershy, who seems to be harder to find than some of the other figures.

So if you know a kid who would be thrilled to receive a set of just the Mane Six figures (and who has a parent who wouldn't be too weirded out by their kid receiving a random package from a strange woman), please e-mail me. Or if there's an adult who loves the Ponies, doesn't have the figures, and is in need of cheering up.

In a day or so I'll post this over at Ravelry if I don't get response here. I know most of the srs Bronies probably already have them all, but if there's someone out there who doesn't....

(Also if you want to re-post this on your blog or FB or whatever with a link back to me, that's cool. If I get more than one request I'll do a random drawing, or perhaps choose the person who seems to need them the most)

***

I'm also thinking about future projects. The other night, I was looking at the crocheted Mr. Ed horse I made (Okay, I was lying in bed reading with him tucked up in the crook of my arm. I admit that I do that - when I am reading at night, I will take one of the several numerous amigurumi I usually have sitting up near the head of my bed and tuck it up under my arm. I get that that's weird and immature and all that, but the thing is, it does comfort me. Years and years ago, when I was in grad school and living with my parents, one of their cats (Cleo) used to like to sit tucked up in the crook of your arm when you were lying on the bed reading or something. I don't have a cat (allergies, plus some days I can barely take care of myself, let alone another living thing)

Anyway. Amigurumi are my pet-substitutes.

So I got to thinking - "If you didn't care about being show-accurate*, you could modify how the eyes and nose were done on this, change the colors, stick on a flank insignia, and make a collar out of felt, and you could have a Big Macintosh." I've been kind of wanting a Big Mac stuffie for a while, but don't intend to use the standard pattern I've used for the mare-ponies, because the nose is too delicate and Big Mac would have to be taller and more robust in size.

So, I don't know. I kind of like the shape of the Mr. Ed pony, and as I said, if I don't care so much about a show-accurate shape or perfectly show-accurate hair.....I'd just have to find the right shade of red and goldish orange, and maybe get some more brown felt to make his horsecollar. (I think I would make one that had a closure on it, so it would be removable/changeable. In one of the recent comics they had a "bonus feature" Big Mac "paper doll" with interchangeable bandannas he could wear in place of his collar)

(*If I wanted to be show accurate, I'd have ditched the Fluttershy I made and gone with the pattern someone developed and is selling on Ravelry. But I like the Fluttershy I made because I made her and she's mine and I'm trying really hard not to care that other people might look at the pictures of her I posted on Ravelry and think, "That's not very good, why didn't she bother to make the hair 'right'?")

***

And also trying to cheer myself up. I saw this the other day. It is one of those things that makes me laugh for an inexplicable reason. Go ahead and watch it. (I promise - there is no loud music, nothing jumps out at you at the end, it doesn't have a bad surprise)








I don't know why it makes me laugh, but I've watched it a number of times and it makes me giggle every time. I don't know if it's the "wait for it....wait for it...." aspect, or the "thud" at the end, or the fact that it's a short video of a waffle falling over, or what. But it makes me laugh. (Don't read the YouTube comments. Some are tongue in cheek, but there are apparently some people who are incensed that someone took the time to film a waffle falling over and post it online)

1 comment:

Carrie#K said...

I would hate life if I faced a classroom all day and a meeting at night. Way too much 'face time'. As it is, I'm totally alone in the office most days and still meetings can drain the life out of me.

Hez sleeps in the crook of my arm but when she abandons me for the cat tree, I've been known to fetch Leo (a stuffed lion). Shhh. I hate to sleep alone.

Making Fluttershy from "scratch" is a lot more impressive than following a pattern!