Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Got my number

A couple of the yarns I took with me to work on over break are Phydeaux Designs yarns. (This is really not a commercial; I received no promotional consideration of any sort here).

I love that website. The pictures of the yarn totally make me want to buy them. For one thing, the photography is good - there are a couple of commercial yarn outlets (I won't name them here) that have gone to offering tiny "thumbnails" of the yarns on sale, and you can't SEE what the yarn is like without clicking on the thumbnail to embiggen it. (And even then, sometimes it's really hard to get a feel for the yarn).

But these photos show the colorway (well, not knit up, but that's okay) and give a sense of the texture of the yarn.

And I admit, I like how the yarns are "posed" - lying there, almost seductively (What? Yes, an inanimate object can be seductive, just not in the sense that a human can) on that doily. To me, they say, "Buy me. Knit with me. I will make you happy. My smooth spin will slide nicely through your fingers. You will delight in my colors. I will be beautiful, whatever you make with me."

And I admit: I've always been a sucker for multicolored or variegated yarns. (Yes, even including some of the louder color combinations some call "clown barf," though the Phydeaux combinations are much more subtle)

I have with me Pumpkin Spice (in the 50-50 merino/silk blend) for a pair of armwarmers, and Thistledown (in merino wool) for a shawl. And I have a few other colorways in my stash (including a skein sent to me for free because I was "so patient" - the yarn is mostly dyed to order and I had the bad luck to order a couple days before the dyer suffered a major life upheaval, and so I had to wait longer than the standard period. I didn't expect the free skein but I happily accepted it.).

Someday, I think, when I come into a bit of money (perhaps for reviewing textbooks), I might order a sweater's worth of one of the more muted/semi-solid colorways - the colors are just that pretty.

No comments: