Monday, July 29, 2013

Finished mixtape quilt

I also got the binding on the Mixtape quilt this weekend.

I didn't try hanging it up to photograph it as I knew it was large enough that it would drag on the ground.

finished mixtape quilt

This is an Elisabeth Hartman pattern. I don't know if she still sells it or not; I know at one point she was closing out some of her patterns. It's a nice simple pattern but you can really play with color combinations in it, and it's good for novelty fabrics as the blocks use fairly large pieces.

I tried several fabrics up to it for the binding. This was the "long shot" - a striped fabric from Connecting Threads I bought for another project and wound up not using. But it made the other colors "pop" in a way the more pastel colors I had been trying did not. That's one thing I like about quilting - it can still surprise me; there are still things I think, "meh, this won't work" about and then they DO.

mixtape binding

And here's the backing. I really like the backing - it was a large piece I got on a good sale (I think it was a "you finish the bolt, get an extra 20% off" or something like that). I like using novelty prints for backings because you can see the whole big fabric instead of little cut-up bits.

mixtape backing

2 comments:

Joan said...

I love that binding, it really ties in and perks up the colors!

I neither quilt nor spin, probably because I can never picture in my mind what the finished project will look like.

Big Alice said...

Oh, I like that one! Congratulations!
And the binding is maybe my favorite part. It really does make the other colors shine.