Sunday, May 12, 2013

piecing and gardening

I'm working this weekend on putting quilt tops together. This first one (the only one finished so far) is the Bento Box quilt that I said before I wasn't sure I liked.

It's funny how the simple step of sewing blocks together sometimes makes them look like they work better together than they did in the layout:

Bento box quilt

Yeah, I think I like it again.

(ETA: there may also be some elements of Cher Horowitz' "Full-on Monet" description there - the quilt does look better from a distance than it does close up.)

The border probably helped; it has most of the (admittedly, fairly disparate) colors in the top:

Bento box close up

I have another largish piece of psuedo-Japanese design fabric, and a coordinating fabric, in my stash that I can use for the backing.

I also worked in the garden some yesterday, mostly removing weeds. (The weeds. One of the things I hate about the climate here is that you really would need to weed practically every day if you wanted a "perfect" garden. Or mulch, or use poisons, neither of which I'm enthusiastic about)

To reward my work, I got topsoil to topdress (where it had gotten badly compacted; I hoed up as much as I could but it was hard work) and some new plants to put in - mostly lavenders, they do well in our climate.

I did get a couple little watermelon plants (they were half off) but am not holding out any great hope of success; the previous two attempts did not yield fruit.

new herbs

The fennel just seeds itself in every year and I mostly let it.

'mater garden

My tomatoes have tiny fruits starting on them. This year, rather than doing the "lazy" thing of using a sprinkler (though I may have to do that with a timer set-up while I am gone), I've been watering them using a watering can. It doesn't take THAT long and I think it's a more effective (and certainly less wasteful of water) way of watering; my plants look better this year than they have in recent years when I was using the sprinkler.

2 comments:

purlewe said...

a friend suggested this technique to me for watering in a hot climate (I have a concrete backyard, so my containers are in a much hotter climate than our typical zone in PA) She suggested taking water bottles and filling them 3/4 and freezing them overnite. Putting them upside down in the container every morning let the water drip out slowly all day. If it gets really hot that might help you.

Carrie K said...

Your quilt is gorgeous!

The garden looks good too. That frozen bottle idea is interesting!