Sunday, March 24, 2013

I was wrong

...and I'm happy about it.

Earlier on, I thought the Live Oak Shawlette would be too small for me to wear. It isn't. It does fit more like a collar than an actual shawl (so it will be more to brighten up an outfit than to actually keep my arms warm on a chilly day), but I can wear it without it bunching up or looking lost over my shoulders.

live oak shawlette ii

Though still, I think I do prefer larger shawls. The downside to those is you must plan ahead when acquiring yarn; a regular-sized shawl takes more than 100 g of sockweight, and the attraction (for me, at least) of shawlettes is that I can "repurpose" some of the tons of sockyarn I have ahead into them. (I suppose a person COULD make a larger shawl using two coordinating colorways of sockyarn, or a bright print with either ecru, grey, or black)

Here's the shawl laid out, to give a better idea of how it's shaped. There are essentially a series of increase points around the semi-circle, with two, three-stitch areas where there are no increases. On the edging, the same thing happens - so you get a shawl that tends to lie a little flatter on the shoulders. I could see this scaled up with a dk yarn (and a larger needle) to make more of a full-sized shawl, or doing the math to make the body of the shawl larger, and then do more repeats of the edging. (The pattern did suggest that you can do an additional repeat of Chart A, which is the first two "full" leaves, to make a longer shawl. But that would take more yarn and I wouldn't have had enough...)

live oak shawlette

4 comments:

Lydia said...

That's such a nice look on you!

Charlotte said...

You can also wear it closer to your throat with the ends crossed and anchored with a broach. That would make it more of an accessory instead of something worn for warmth.

Joan said...

You are right, you were wrong! :)

What a pretty, pretty thing.

Lynne said...

Very pretty! And sometimes just something on the back of the neck and shoulders is just the extra warmth you need!

Check out Color Affection on Ravelry; needs 3 skeins of complementary colors of sock yarn. Stephen West also has a lot of interesting scarfy-shawlette things that would be a good use for two colors of sock yarn.