Wednesday, December 26, 2012

One more song

One more Christmas song. This is a version that is new to me, but that I love dearly: it's a Cajun-ified version of "Silent Night" (Yes, I know - but Christmas is a joyous holiday, and one way of expressing that joy is by dancing). The waltz tempo is converted to a two-step.

Some of the nicest versions of Silent Night that I've heard recognize and use the fact that it's a nice, graceful waltz tempo - sometimes you hear it played too slowly, and I think that's a shame.

This is from the Jay Ungar and Molly Mason family band. I have the CD of "A Fiddler's Holiday" (I bought it after hearing a couple cuts on the Pandora station I was listening to) and I really, really love this treatment. I can imagine at the very end of a Christmas celebration, people getting up and dancing to it.



I am not much of a dancer, but I think I could manage a Cajun two-step. (I could probably also manage a polka. I've been told, "Even people who can't dance can do the polka." I know for years it was a staple at weddings, both in Northeastern Ohio (where I grew up) and the Chicago area - both populations with a heavy Polish, Slavic, or German influence).

No comments: