Tuesday, November 13, 2012

too much grading

I gave an exam yesterday, give another one today (different classes with different clientele, but still - there are only so many ways to split a semester into four chunks). I have a stack of journal article critiques on my desk to start reading, and some lab write-ups. And I collect the "big" GIS papers tonight.

(And I have a follow-up checkup today, and I HOPE my blood pressure is low enough to please the doctor. If I have to raise the dosage of the medication again - well, my chances of staying vertical all day long will drop considerably. And no, I can't make any more dietary changes short of stopping eating altogether.)

So I need to get back to work.

(And I'm not happy with a few people - most of whom overlap in the classes I gave the exam in yesterday, and the class I gave an exam in last week. Senioritis? Maybe.)

ETA: Yes, right now I'm feeling kind of harried and sad. I am sure part of that is due to the fact that last night I had a meeting and didn't get home until nearly 9 pm, so didn't get to knit or anything. And I have my night class tonight. And I have another meeting Wednesday night. (But - if I have to up my meds again, I'm going to beg off that meeting and say I don't feel well).

And there's just some mild bad news going on on various fronts around me, so I'm a little distressed. A lot of it has to do with the "new normal" we are facing - budget cuts, more workload, less support, no chance of TAs, that kind of thing. How am I to reduce my stress when there's less money and less time and less help?

ETA: I've already given up a couple of volunteer things. The ones that remain deal with my church, which is tiny and I am afraid is on its way to extinction and I am not going to hurry it along by dropping my responsibilities there.

If I could give up the grading? That would be what helped the most. But I can't do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you give up some of your committees and volunteer commitments? If it's a question of good health and enough energy to do the things you absolutely must do, you can probably give yourself permission to do this without overthinking. When things improve, you can reconsider.