Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Begin Christmas music...

It is NOT too early, IMHO. It's after Thanksgiving, it's practically December 1st.

I heard this on the digital-music Christmas channel I get (well, it's really called Holidays and Happenings, but right now, of course, it's Christmas music).

Dave Brubeck arranges Jingle Bells, makes it something fun and interesting and vaguely "barrelhouse" sounding at points:



Dave Brubeck is an interesting guy. (And yes, "is" still: he was born in 1920 and still lives). He learned from Darius Milhaud, some of his children became musicians. And he's also a fairly devout person - I remember being a bit surprised (not knowing that side of him) when one of the pieces performed in church one day was a piece of sacred music he had written. I love learning about the different sides of a person. (Well, okay. Some of the time I do. There was stuff I learned about Percy Grainger that I really didn't want to know....)

That's a lot more than just "Take Five," which was mostly what I had known him for up until a few years ago.

No comments: