Thursday, September 20, 2012

Where's my "facehoof"?

So. I handed back papers today. Two of the students received zeroes.

One for plagiarism. One for what I interpreted as willfully changing the assignment topic and doing something completely unrelated to the topic.

So I get two emails from one of these people. Asking for a re-do. Writing a bit of a sob story as to why they needed a re-do.

And then I thought, wait, I just walked out of class. When did they send those e-mails?

One was time-stamped 9:47. The other was time-stamped 10:35.

DURING CLASS.

And even though our server is sometimes wonky, its wonkiness usually means you receive the email well after it is sent - never before.

So, she texted me during class and I didn't see her doing it to call her out. And she thinks that's OK.

I don't have the energy to call her on that, I don't have the strength to deal with the upset that might cause. So I'm just going to say, "No, class policy is no redos." Which it is. But still:






















Well, I did "woman up" a bit and sent a second e-mail saying, "By the way, did you send those e-mails while you were in class? I'd rather you didn't do that." Perhaps I'm being too subtle there. But sometimes you have to tread lightly with freshmen.

Edited to add: Well, got an e-mail back claiming they were sent after class.  I guess for now I will assume that the timestamp was wonky or something. At least the person in question accepted the "No do-overs" statement. (In the past, I have had people NOT and I just get tired of all the "But won't you do it for meeeeee" requests. No, that's why we have rules....they apply equally to everyone.)

No comments: