Monday, September 10, 2012

Pantone's "new" colors.

(I needed to post on something happier than water problems. It seems like of all the utilities, water gives me more trouble than any other).

Pantone is out with their new color palette for spring. (At least for women. They usually have one for men, too, with some of the more "feminine" colors replaced with more "manly" ones. Though some people may hasten to point out that years and years ago, pink was actually seen as a better color for boys, and blue, being seen as more "delicate," being for girls. So it's all a cultural construct).

I like "dusk blue" a lot. I also like "greyed jade," though I think I'd be more prone to call that "Eau de Nil" (Nile green, or Eau de Nil, was a popular color in the 1930s and 40s, and it was very close to that color).  I like "Linen," as well, though the name "linen" doesn't say "blush pink" to me, like that color there.

Edited to add: I may be wrong about that color being Eau de Nil. Some sticklers say eau de Nil is more of a grey or yellowish green, that that jadeite color is more like what is sometimes called "Cambridge blue."  I don't know what it should be called, but I still like it. We need more colors that take more than one word to describe them. (And if my monitor is true to color - which it's possible it's not - I rather like the Cambridge blue linked at that site. I also like Wedgwood blue.)

The last three I'm not quite so crazy about, but then those really strong, neony colors are not ones I look so well in, so that might be part of it. I'd probably use "tender shoots" as a color in a quilt, though.

Interesting that there are no browns or true greys presented. (I guess Monaco Blue takes the role of navy blue).  I wonder if that means those colors will be hard to find in clothes? I find that some years there are like four or five "hot" colors that are everywhere, and if you want something different - say, you want a black skirt in a year when they've decreed navy blue to be the "dark neutral," forget it - you're better off sewing your own.

(The men's colors can be seen here. They do get a grey and sort of a weird grey-brown combo ("tidal foam"). They also get "Vibrant Orange." The only men I've ever known who wore brilliant orange were on their way out to the deer stand, and I don't know that they're in the demographic fashion designers are going after...

And neither of those drawings of the "models" there are particularly attractive or are in particularly flattering clothes, imho...

No comments: