Monday, September 17, 2012

Olive oil scandal

I need to get back to grading, but I got thinking about something Charles wrote about the other day, about a "scandal" in the world of olive oil....where many brands are actually colored canola oil. And I wondered, are there brands that ARE trustworthy?

yup. But DANGIT, once again: the Costco Warehouse Store (of which there is one nowhere near me) is the affordable "good" brand, and two of those I know as US made brands (from olive farms in the Southwest) that are extremely pricey.

(I really get irritated when somewhere like Consumer Reports rates stuff, and all their highly-rated brands are like Trader Joe's and Kirkland, and the brands I can actually buy near me are the crummy ones. Also, Consumer Reports was kind of Captain Obvious in their ratings of grocery stores: Wal-Mart ranked near the bottom, though I don't know that they took "rude customers" into account on that).

So, I don't know. I try to put a good face on it but it does bug me that I'm being lied to (apparently) in terms of the olive oil I'm buying (Yeah, it could be worse, this could be 1904 and that bag of flour I just bought be mainly gypsum dust). But now I wonder, what's next: the canned salmon I buy is actually some trash fish that's loaded with the supposedly-bad-for-you Omega 6s, instead of the Omega 3s?

I might as well just eat Twinkies....you can't win. You try to be healthy and it's all founded on lies.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Damn. I usually buy Bertolli (in the huge bottles) and I've never seen those other brands anywhere. How am I supposed to get real olive oil. I guess I will just have to look for it on Amazon.com like everything else.