Tuesday, September 04, 2012

expectation recalibration time

Yeah. I hadn't taught non-majors during the regular semester for a year (summer classes are always different).

I'm going to have to recalibrate what I expect, and stop internally facepalming over stuff.

Though I admit there are some people that I'm beginning to wonder if they were either raised by wolves or how they managed to make it to 18.....

I've got a load of stuff to do this week. Guess I better start. (Yes, I have my list. Eleven items, five already crossed off.)

(ETA, grading papers. Apparently my ability to gain a seat on the rocket that escapes a failing Earth because of my ability to proofread documents will remain unchallenged. And while it's a comfort to know that I apparently possess a Rare Skill....still, some of the wrong words are making my brains go "WTH?")

ETA number 2: I had a student refer to overweight children as "butterball bastards" in his paper. It really hurts my heart that I even have to explain to someone that that's inappropriate language for a "formal" college paper. All I can say is, I hope he never suffers from some health problem that causes him to gain a lot of weight. (I also wonder about people who seem to express such hate about some other group, they must have some kind of inner insecurity to want to unleash that kind of vitriol over an audience that isn't even there.)

ETA, nearly done grading....

I do count WAY down for lack of citations. I told them about it in class, it was on the assignment sheet, they were supposed to do it. I guess I just need to put up with the "sad faces."

I generally don't take off for lateness, except I do when it's just "silly" lateness, like, "I forgot to finish this." "Someone died and I can't be in class" I generally don't take off for.

I'm still so shocked about the "butterball bastards" remark, though. (I really hope the student in question doesn't have children himself) 


Edited, edited, edited to add: this is referring to a convo on ITFF, but I made it and it makes me laugh.



















I was originally looking for a picture of Rarity looking snooty and dismissive, but couldn't find one (And I have learned that Google Image Searching for pony related things is something one does at one's own peril, considering the Rule 34 boys out there.)

1 comment:

CGHill said...

If I need a pony picture, I go to Derpibooru or deviantArt.

And the MLP wiki has dozens of screenshots from every single episode.