Thursday, June 21, 2012

Too much drama

Normally I hate it, but I have to admit I am finding this amusing in kind of a meta way. Apparently the USOC apologized for their apology. Methinks they need a new PR firm.Or at least a firmer grip on the idea that "knitters" are not some group of batty old ladies in rocking chairs.

We may be batty (and actually, some of the outrage over the furore of today made me twitch.You gotta pick your battles in this life, you gotta choose what hill to die on, and for me, it's not going to be the Hill of An Event Name for Knitters).

But we're not all old ladies. (We're not even all LADIES). And even at that, the older people shouldn't be disrespected. I remarked in a post on Ravelry: "The culture that ignores and denigrates the knowledge of its elders is the culture that has to reinvent the wheel."

I've long said the whole "not your granny's X" where X= knitting, quilting, embroidery, bread-baking, whatever... as an indication of how it's cool and you really should do it because it's not actually dorky at all.irritates me. Because as I've said before: my grannies were pretty cool. A lot of the women I know who are grannies now are pretty cool. (And if I had started having kids at a moderately early age....I could be a granny now. That thought scares me, not in a "holy cow I'm OLD" sense, but in the "responsibility" sense).

One of the things I love is learning how to do "traditional" things. If I had more space and time, and less of a hearty fear of what lye can do, I'd try my hand at making my own soap...because that seems neat to me. I like having those skills, knowing how to do stuff, even if I don't choose to do it regularly or even more than once after I try it. 

I mean, I get some people won't want to knit or won't take to it if they learn, that's fine. Not everyone has to knit. But there's nothing wrong with knitting, just as there's nothing wrong with not-knitting.

I do admit that I twitch a lot over some of the furore because I know there's a stereotype out there about knitters and crafters in general that some hold, and I kept wanting to go "SHHH, don't give them more ammunition against us!" or "Don't expose something I love so much in a way that it could be ridiculed."

But, whatever. I think it's blown over for now. It seems the parties involved have seen the power of the Internet, how fast news can spread, and how bad bad PR can really be.

No comments: