Thursday, June 07, 2012

The new dress

Yesterday afternoon, I finally had time to take more photos of things. (Monday was lab, and Tuesday I got so caught up in trying to declutter my office that I didn't get home until fairly late).

This is the dress I made over break. The pattern is Simplicity 2247. I didn't really modify anything on the pattern, made it as the directions suggested. The fabric is, as I noted earlier, a Gunne Sax print, probably from the mid-1980s. (In other words: the fabric in this dress is older than most of my students).

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It fits well, and I like the style.

Simplicity 2247

Here's a full-length shot.

cropped long view, Simplicity 2247

I think I would make this pattern again. It went together fairly well. I think the most challenging part was getting the pleats right in the sleeve caps.

I also painted my toenails with a different color. I decided that since I now had the polish-remover-impregnated pads, which seem to be more effective, I'd try the glitter polish again.

nail polish

Glitter polish is so frivolous but I have to admit I like it. The color name of this is "Rockstar Pink," which, depending on my mood makes me either smile a bit or cringe a bit. (I really don't care for the usage of the term "rockstar" as a term of approbation - as in "That's so rockstar!" when someone does something clever or interesting. I don't know why it bugs me but it does. I suppose it's because I don't think of myself as EVER being "rockstar" and I think there are better ways to express your approval....)

7 comments:

Lynn said...

Lovely dress.

If anyone ever says "That's so rock star" to you just smile and say, "No, that's scientist," (whether it makes sense or not) as if that meant something really superior. (Which, it is)

Lydia said...

The dress is really pretty. I imagine that it would go well with your cardigans as well.

Kim in Oregon said...

Your toes are so rockstar!
Dress is terrific!

Mary C. said...

I really like that dress. I like to dance and I am thinking that the skirt is perfect for that. Thanks for posting.

Joan said...

That dress will lend itself to a variety of occasions! I bet you will wear it often. Gunne Saxe, now there's a brand name that catapults me back into the ennui that was Senior Prom. "We Can Make it Happen" indeed.

kbehroozi said...

Lovely, Erica!

Ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.