Friday, June 01, 2012

My Little Socksies

One of the things I finished over break. These are the "Twilight Sparkle" socks (the real name of the yarn is "Sugared Violets," it's one of the Felici yarns from KnitPicks).

Twilight Sparkle socks

I used the Madder Ribbed Sock pattern from Vintage Knitted Socks. I did poke the tip of the toe in a little for this photo....the toes come out a little pointy (I think that's just something that happens with a "star toe of four points").

Note that in true Twilight Sparkle obsessive fashion, I made sure to start both socks at the same point in the striping sequence so they match. And happily, neither of the skeins had knots in them, so I was able to get them to come out matching without having to cut and paste the yarn.

I like Felici. It's a nice yarn especially considering the price - it knits up well, it feels good, and the colors are nice. I have an older pair of Felici socks (the "I Can Has Cheezburger" socks....the color was called Clay but the socks had a brown, red, yellow, and tan series of stripes, which made me think of cheeseburgers instead of clay). They have held up pretty well so I hope these socks will also.

I like the idea of subtly My Little Pony themed socks. I'm still a bit reticent of going full-on with my bronydom in mixed public...not sure I'd ever wear an MLP t-shirt to school or in the general public. But something like socks, or a color-blocked scarf, yes, I could see that.

And it would be fun, and comparatively easy, to design colorblocked or striping socks for any pony you favor...white with broad purple stripes (and maybe a blue stripe, for her eyes and eyeshadow) for Rarity, pink and yellow (a color combination I've always liked, even if some people find it a bit much) for Fluttershy....orange and gold with some red for Applejack, and so on. (Grey with yellow and maybe little white buttons to represent bubbles for Derpy?). You could also do mitts if you liked....someone on the Craft Bronies group did a sweet pair of Fluttershy mitts of yellow yarn with tiny pink butterflies appliqued on them.

In a way, it would almost be like those Hogwarts scarves people do...striped British-school style scarves in the "house colors" of the house they most identified with. (Once again: geeky crafting, whether it's sci-fi or fantasy or cartoon or really ANY kind of geekery, fascinates me, because I like the idea of combining two interests, and I like seeing other people display their interests. There are science-geek patterns out there...socks with Planck's constant on them, a hat inspired by a Klein bottle. And I still hold in the back of my head the idea of sometime doing a series of sock patterns inspired by prairie plants and animals, and maybe even phenomena like virga or fires.)

1 comment:

CGHill said...

For a while, one of the popular themes in EqD's Drawfriend Stuff was ponies in socks; had I any talent with the pen (or whatever), I'd try to render Twilight herself in her sort-of-eponymous socks.

Have you considered an OC pony for yourself?