Tuesday, September 13, 2011

This STUPID drought

So, the last post was written last night actually. And I was all happy thinking about how I had a ten-year anniversary of owning a home.

So I woke up this morning. While getting ready, when I flushed, I thought, wow, that's taking a long time to fill back up.

Then I realized I heard water running.

My first inclination was to take off the lid of the tank and jiggle the "guts." Nope, nothing there. I had a momentary horror - what if a pipe broke in the wall? Then I realized there'd AT LEAST be a wet spot on the wall somewhere, and there was none.

Then I went out into the living room. Still heard water. "Maybe that spigot they capped is still leaking." Went out to check. The sound was louder.

So I called the plumber, forgetting it was like 6:20 am. Woke the poor guy....but he seemed okay with it. He made an emergency appointment with me and told me to go turn off the water from the meter.

(Which it turns out I am either not strong enough to do, or I don't have the right tools...)

But that's when I saw water leaking out from a corner of my lawn where the pipe runs under it.

I can't even muster up angry words. I just looked at it and sighed.

So I called the city, seeing as I couldn't turn the water off from the meter. The police dispatcher took my phone numbers and said he'd have the water department call me.

Luckily, as I was finishing my cereal, a truck pulled out and a City guy jumped out. I ran out and talked with him to verify that yes, a break where it had apparently happened was a job for a plumber, and not the City. He turned my water off, I thanked him, and went back in.

The sound stopped a few seconds later, of course.

But now I have no water. (Thank goodness I washed my hair last night...though if the plumbers can't find and fix the leak today I will probably be staying in a hotel tonight). I popped my toothbrush and toothpaste in my purse and will brush my teeth over here in a few minutes.

But, arrgh. I am sure this break is a result of the dry, dry ground stressing the pipes. I'm just really hoping that the plumber can find the leak rapidly and can fix it. At this point I don't even care about him having to tear up my lawn to do it.

No comments: