Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pass the benadryl

I may need to resort to something stronger to fight allergies. (If I do take Benadryl...well, it will have to be at night, and it will have to be the children's sized dose, because it really affects me strongly. Just like caffeine does. And any decongestant...and lots of other things. I rely mostly on non-medicine-based home remedies for stuff because I seem to have such a twitchy liver.)

Last night was not a good night. I got to thinking about, "Okay, you say you can't ask people for help, when have you asked people recently" and then thought of the broom on my roof. Yeah, the broom that I lost up there last summer. A couple months back I asked a couple people for help in getting it down. In both cases I got a "Yeah, sure, I'll call you and come out and help you" and got the same response when I asked the person again.

And they never came.

So, whatever. I decided the broom will stay up there until it falls down, I figure out who I can HIRE to get it down (some workmen won't go up on roofs - liability issues), or until I can borrow a taller ladder than I own (and get it to my house somehow, my car being too short for most ladders) and get it down myself.

Actually, on a few occasions when I've asked for house-assistance in re: something I shouldn't have to hire someone for, I've gotten similar responses: "Yeah, sure, I'll call you" and then nothing.

So I give up.

Intellectually, I tell myself that people are busy and they forget. But emotionally - and this was what killed me so last night, lying in bed, trying to sleep - it bugs me that I apparently am not important enough to merit 25 minutes of someone's time some afternoon. And I'm not good enough at being pushy or being whiny (well, whiny at specific people) to annoy them into helping me - and I don't want to do that, anyway.

So the lesson I get: either hire someone or do it yourself, 'cos you're in this all alone, kid.

Not a very happy lesson, that.

(And seriously: WHY AGREE TO DO SOMETHING YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO DO? I mean, is it really that hard to say, "Gee, I'm awfully busy right now" or "I hurt my back a few weeks ago and really shouldn't be doing that" or "Afternoons are a really bad time for me." As hard as it is for me to say "no" to people asking me to do stuff, if I have a legitimate reason - even if I'm just super busy - I can say "no." And I'd rather say "no" than say "yes" and have to call the person up and explain that I can't do it after all.

But this is one of the things that makes me crazy about people. Or maybe people that surround me, I don't know - I've had so many cases of people agreeing to do stuff and then just never doing it. Or people setting meetings with me and never showing up when I made an effort to be there.

I know people don't realize that that behavior is gradually "breaking" me for wanting to work with people, but it is. I have a really hard time trusting that anyone will do anything they agree to, which is why I tend to worry so much.)

So I don't know. But not getting help when help is offered is just something else that makes me not want to bother asking.

***

Last night, I picked up the front of the Ropes and Picots cardigan and started working on it. And I looked over at the sleeve of Potter and thought, "You know, you really should finish that sweater before continuing on this one." And then I thought: "You're certainly not very regimented about how you do your projects; you start stuff willy-nilly and sometimes take years to finish something someone else might knock out in a couple weeks."

And then I realized: forget about being 'regimented' about the timeline of my knitting (and quilting, and embroidery, and crochet) projects: I'm so regimented in the rest of my life that this is one area where I can actually relax and not worry about being "responsible" all the time.

In a lot of ways, I measure out my life with Alfred Prufrock's coffee spoons: most days, it's get up between 4:30 and 5 am, put in an hour's time on the cross-country ski exerciser. Wash, dress, make my lunch (for some reason, I find few quotidian things as depressing as packing a lunch every day), eat breakfast, practice piano for 20 minutes if I have time.

Go over to work, check my e-mail, prep for morning classes. Teach, prep the stuff I need to have ready for the next day. Go home, sometimes stopping at the grocery or pharmacy on the way. Do the rest of piano practice. Fix dinner. Do any slop-over work I couldn't get done during the day. Maybe do a load of laundry. Go to bed and read for a while, but go to bed early enough that that 4:30 wake-up won't be so painful.


And sometimes: go to meetings, even though there's just about any other place that I'd rather be. Make and go to dentist appointments. (That's how I knew I was a really-real grown up: when I started making my own dentist appointments). Doing volunteer work. And on, and on.

And it does get to be a lot, sometimes. It does get to the point where I'm overwhelmed.

And so I need something where I can be a little undisciplined and do what I want and not worry about what others think (That's also why I will never enter a quilt in a contest, or enter my knitting at the fair. I think having it judged - even in the friendly "here's how to improve" sense would destroy the enjoyment for me. I'm good enough at seeing the flaws in my work that I don't want someone else pointing them out to me.)

But I admit, there are times when I just want to kick over the traces. Skip a meeting I said I'd go to and be totally unapologetic and not try to come up with a good explanation why. Or sleep in for a week and not drag my tail out of bed when any reasonable person is still asleep in order to exercise. Or go and stay in a nice, fancy hotel somewhere and order room-service for dinner every night and not worry about how much money I was burning through. (Though I've never done any of those things, and probably never would, sometimes I really want to).

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Oh, the fancy hotel thing, you should really do. If not for a whole week maybe a long weekend.

The only fancy hotel we've ever been in was the Chateau on the Lake in Branson and we didn't get room service or take advantage of any of their other amenities but it was nice staying in place like that.

Anonymous said...

It's not just the people around you.

I've lived in many places and have dealt with broken promises for much of my adult life. Lunch dates, weekend plans, letters, phone calls, all broken. People would say "write me!" I'd dutifully write a letter and never hear from that person again.

Here's a really "fun" example of a broken promise I experienced:

Some years ago, some extended relatives who owned a small house (that had not been lived in for many years after another relative passed away) promised to sell it to me. I was delighted and serious about accepting the offer. I was ready to own a home, was excited about having a garden, and it would have eased a substantial commute for me.

Well, guess what? Months went by and the subject was never raised again. I learned they had made a false promise--to me and other extended relatives. They never really intended to sell the house. It has remained unoccupied, neglected, and filled with junk now for 10 years. I now rarely talk with these relatives. I don't like being jerked around like that.

People need to learn to say no politely, stop being afraid of honesty, and to stop taking each other for granted. We're on this earth only for a short time.

Anonymous said...

Ok...invite two or three guys for a home-cooked dinner on a day you don't have an evening commitment. It doesn't have to be fancy--chili and homemade bread, with a simple dessert, all made ahead. Inviting only guys indicates it's not a would-be romantic deal. Give them a choice of dates to cut down the chances they'll decline. Tell them upfront the price of dinner is getting the broom down. Have them do it before you serve the meal. It's easy to lose sight of the fact that everybody has stuff to do and nobody likes saying no. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Joan said...

I agree with Lynn-- DO treat yourself to a weekend away somewhere nice where you can feel pampered and special. Where you don't have to cook for yourself for a while. Take your knitting, and sit on the balcony or in front of a fireplace. You're worth it.

And I so agree with you-- knitting should be a pleasure, not a chore. Life is too short to knit an obligation. Unless it is something you are gifting, in which case it would probably be a pleasure anyway...