Friday, September 16, 2011

I have gratitude

And water.

But mostly at this point, gratitude.

I'm running a load of towels in the washing machine - the plumber suggested (and I had already been thinking) not to wash whites first because there might still be some sediment in the lines from the old pipe.

It cost exactly what the "boss" (the first plumber who came out and consulted) gave me as the cheapest estimate; he had warned me that any complications requiring extra labor would increase the price and I totally understand that. Today's plumber told me that the pipes up under the house are "good solid" copper pipes and were apparently replaced at some point - not the old original pipe to the house. So doing the tie-in was simple.

I have to admit that this is the kind of thing why I'm leery of the "college for all!" educational plans...by all means if someone doing plumbing wants to take college classes, they should. But there are enough guys (and women) who DON'T want college classes, and would be happier doing something like apprenticing to a plumber and learning the trade. And boy darn, do we need good plumbers...I know I couldn't have taken care of this problem at all.

A nation full of nothing but white-collar workers means a nation where the toilets leak and electrical wires are frayed and streets aren't repaired...

I think I'm gonna go do the necessary grocery shopping this afternoon/evening (run to Sherman...even though I really should be economizing, I want to at least see if the Books a Million has the new Interweave Christmas Gifts, which is supposed to be out). And then tonight I am going to take a shower. And wash my hair. Because I now can.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh congratulations, Erica. And felicitations and jubilation, &&&.

All well that ends well

Lydia said...

I'm so glad that it's over!

What a week that was.