Sunday, August 14, 2011

Patchwork pattern motherlode

I've gotten kind of hooked on the "Jelly Roll*" pre-cut packs. I have several stacked up waiting for patterns, I ordered a couple more (one of French General fabrics - "La Petite Ecole" was the name, I think - and Aneela Hoey's latest set of cute prints). And I realized, I don't have enough patterns in the couple of Jelly Roll books that I particularly LIKE for the fabrics I have.

(*A "jelly roll," in this context, is a set of 2 1/2" by 42" strips, usually 40 strips, from a single "line" or set of fabrics designed by a designer. (And yes, there are other meanings of jelly roll, one of which is not-so-innocent, and yes, it has been "snerked" about on CPAAG.)

So I thought, perhaps there are some patterns for free on the Internet.

oh yes, there are..

Moda Bake Shop (Moda is the fabric company that started all the precut business - the jelly rolls, the layer cakes, the "honey buns" and all of that) hosts a whole blog of patterns people have contributed. A lot of them were designed to advertise a particular fabric collection, but of course you can use any fabric collection - or cuts made from fabrics in your "stash" (I know people who will take the remnants from making a quilt and cut them into 2 1/2" or 1 1/2" strips for later use).

If you want patterns for a particular TYPE of pre-cut (I was looking for patterns using Jelly Roll cuts), you can click on the "label" at the bottom of a post, and get all patterns labeled with that particular category - for example, all projects labeled with "Jelly Roll" are here)

And it's not just quilt tops, there are bags and pillows and basket-liners and aprons and many other things. They also have a "printer friendly" button you can click on the bottom of each pattern so you can get a nice neat .pdf file that will print well.

I am quite thrilled to find this because now I have access to a lot more fun patterns that I want to make. A lot of them are the sort of semi-modern "geometric" pieced tops, which are my favorite to make, and also which I tend to like the looks of. (Especially for the novelty fabrics I tend to favor.)

1 comment:

purlewe said...

Oh that is a great place. I actually ended up using their pattern last yr to make this: http://flic.kr/p/8rMUSB and totally fell in love with Cherry House Quilts b'c of her designs. She has a book out I think you'd like too.