Thursday, August 18, 2011

More vintage cooking

Hunting around a bit for info on the Farm Journal books (there are still a few I don't own, and, since I tend to be a completist about some things, I'd like to get them. ESPECIALLY the original bread book - my mom has it and uses it all the time. I bought one claiming to be it, but it was a reprint by "Galahad Press" and they left out some of the recipes I wanted).

Anyway, Amy Alessio has a blog where she offers vintage recipes (and some commentary, and occasionally a vintage craft).

(Incidentally, one of her posts is on Goldenrod Eggs - which I've never had but have seen several recipes for and keep thinking I want to try. It's essentially hardboiled eggs in cream sauce (What? I kind of like that sort of thing) but with extra yolks sieved on top of it to make the "goldenrod" pattern).

(I also want to try curried eggs or what used to sometimes be called Hindoo Eggs, which is a similar dish, just that you spice up the sauce with curry powder (M.F.K. Fisher has an amusing story about how she and her sister, as children, cooked them - but put in far, far too much curry powder and actually suffered what were probably chemical burns in their mouths)

Some older recipes are best left in the past, but there are others that deserve to still be made.

My grandmother's tomato soup, for example (which is pretty much the same tomato soup recipe that's in "Lost Recipes" - another good cookbook). And her pineapple icebox pie, which I got the recipe from my mom for this last break - you make a graham-cracker crust, make a cooked vanilla pudding, then add a can of crushed pineapple. You finish it off with meringue on top (because the pudding takes egg yolks, it's convenient to use the whites up in a meringue). The pie is delicious and it's wonderful in the summer on a hot summer day (because once it comes out of the oven after baking the meringue, you refrigerate it so it's served cold)

(And searching on Lost Recipes - the book I have is by Marion Cunningham - turns up The Lost Recipes Found website, another source of "vintage" recipes)

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Recipes best left in the past? You had to know I would be curious about that. :-)

Anonymous said...

The Farm Journal is a magazine that my family who own a farm in Nebraska receive: http://www.agweb.com/farmjournal/.