Tuesday, July 12, 2011

More quilt blocks

My brother's surgery went fine, apparently. My mom called me (my sister-in-law called her) to let me know he was out of surgery. And the surgeon was pretty hopeful that it would clear up his sinus problems.

I know I shouldn't worry about these kinds of things, nothing ever comes from them. Except for the time it does.

****

Anyway. I've been working more on the OM NOM NOM quilt. As I said, one of the fun things about this quilt is that if I have a few minutes I can do a little bit on it. (And if I want to brave the higher temperature of the sewing room - it only has one vent, and it's at the tail end of the ductwork chain, and it's less well-insulated than the rest of the house (having once been a screened porch) - so it tends to be maybe 5-10 degrees warmer than the rest of the house)

But I did get a couple more blocks done today (most of these are ones I made earlier) and I cut some more pieces for future blocks.

Cupcakes (I have this same print in different colors as well) and cookie jars.

cupcakes and cookie jars

(One of the cookie jars on the print, which didn't make it into the block, is clock-shaped - a clock with a doggy face on it - and it says "Cookie Time." They should somehow work that into an episode of "Adventure Time," I think. Also, it makes me think of one of the happinesses of childhood, when you either got home from school and needed a snack, or it was after dinner - and so, it was Cookie Time.)

Pies and cakes in one fabric and Girl Scout Cookies in another.

pies n cakes and Girl Scout Cookis

I really like the aqua background on that pies and cakes one. There are going to be a lot of bright colored fabrics in this quilt.

A more sedate line-up of cakes (and I should do a mini-tutorial on how to rotary cut half-square triangles and still manage to get them oriented in such a way that they will come out facing the same direction when they're sewn up into the block - I figured that out when I was planning this one and was kind of proud of it). Also, chocolate-covered strawberries.

cakes and strawberries

And finally, ribbon candy and chocolates.

ribbon candy and chocolates

Both my mom and the woman (close to her age) cutting the fabric (the ribbon candy one is one I bought up at Sewing Studio) got all nostalgic about ribbon candy. I guess it was more common in the 40s and 50s than it is now - I have almost no experience with it. I guess it was particularly out on sale around Christmas time.

Making these blocks is a lot of fun because with each new fabric, I'm not quite sure of how the block will look until it's all done. That's one of the really fun things about working with novelty fabrics, I think.

If loving to make a quilt out of all funny novelty fabric is wrong, I don't want to be right.

4 comments:

purlewe said...

I have a GS cookie fat quarter I could send to you. It is lime green background. Would you be interested?

Kris said...

I totally used to have ribbon candy every Christmas!! I loved the taste of it. :) And I love the theme of your quilt.

Charlotte said...

I remember ribbon candy at Christmas. I don't think it was available at other times of the year. The church I attended gave everyone a small box of hard candy which included ribbon candy and an apple and orange at Christmas. Don't know that we ever bought any.

Joan said...

Ribbon candy at Christmas... I think somebody used to give us a tin every year, and all I can say is it looked prettier than it tasted. I used to love the little peanut shaped ones with peanut-butter flavored filling in them. That was way before I knew how delicious Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are!